Guest Report

5-bedroom villa on Mount Irvine (listing)
Patrice a

Guest Report

Post by Patrice a »

Firstly, I am struggling with the rating. I'm one of those people that doesn't give anything a perfect score but Sol Y Mar (SYM) could possibly deserve one....

Some history. I took my 91 year old father, 5 children (all impeccably behaved) 12-15 and 3 more adults and we were just fine. Never on top of one another as there are numerous sitting areas indoors and out, the pool is large enough for all and if you want to retire to your room, you hear none of it.

The photos of the house do not quite do it justice; it is more spacious and relaxing, the view more spectacular and the rooms more comfortable than it appears. There is a house parrot, Tessie, who wins your heart and all your leftover fruit (actually the finest cuts!!). Not to mention the variety of birds who visit the numerous feeders around the house. we saw a banana finch building its nest, heard cocricos yelling their demands, motmots visiting in pairs and the most exquisitely vibrant blue bird that would shyly sit and eat. Tessie would try to imitate all their sounds happily.

And then there's the staff of 3 who couldn't be more helpful, knowledgable and agreeable.Marlyn has a varied and traditional menu (my personal choice) that was delicious. Why not try oxtail and cassava? Bake and saltfish? Or her delicious lasagna with garlic bread (not island food but international!) Her husband, Carlon, expertly cleaned the crab for curry crab and dumplings...OK I'm hungry! And Bert, he made sure the garden, the surroundings and the pool area were impeccable.

Now do you understand my dilemma...there was even a cell phone ready for my personal use during my stay. The attention to detail!

So I'm going to change the rating to 4.7.
Yeah, I'm stubborn and guess I need to visit again to see if it can improve....

Return to “Sol y Mar Villa”