Guest Report

4-bedroom villa on Mount Irvine
Reg Roberts

Guest Report

Post by Reg Roberts »

Our stay in April, 2013 was the fourth time we've stayed at Solitaire, so that in itself is an indication of our staisfaction with the place.

On this occasion, we were a party of 4 adults and 4 teenagers and there was ample accommodation space for everyone, with generously proportioned double or twin bedrooms (all en-suite) for everyone.

The Pros-

Great location on Sugar Hill, with spectacular views south west over Grange beach to Buccoo Reef and Pigeon Point and (on a really clear day) the mountains of Trinidad. However, the best vista of all, in my opinion, is at the end of each day, when there is a perfect view over the infinity pool of the sunset. There's also a good variety of birdlife around the villa because of the proximity of woodland. Grange and Mount Irvine beaches are within 5 to 10 minute walks, but a car is needed for shopping etc.
The owners are very friendly and have been helpful in arranging car hire, suggesting activities and offering advice on what's worth seeing on the island.
The villa is well cared for (excellent 6 day per week maid service) and any problems (e.g. a leaky pipe in bathroom) were addressed swiftly and solved.

The cons-
The kitchen could do with some modernisation and some higher spec equipment, but I guess not everyone staying there plans on cooking breakfast and dinner daily as we do.
There isn't any natural shade on the west-facing terrace and it can become too hot to bear by 3pm.
I wouldn't recommend for families with very young children. As another reviewer has commented, the villa is built on a very steep plot and there are potential falls for unattended toddlers.

All in all, though, we keep going back (have booked again for 2014) and choose Solitaire over other potential locations that we've visited on the island over the years.

Return to “Solitaire”