Mama's Ice Cream

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Mama's Ice Cream

Post by Bash Ram »

Heard that Mama's Ice Cream was great and decided to go check it out. After asking several locals we finally found it on Carnbee Main Road not far from Morsehead Supermarket. On entering I noticed the shabbiness and run-down look of the place, was greeted by a very unpleasant chemical odor and wondered if any locals ever ventured here or steered clear. The woman seated behind the counter was reading a newspaper and did not even look up when I entered. I said "Good evening, I'm interested in some homemade Ice Cream". She responded not a word, only looked up and smirked at me in a very rude and unpleasant manner. At this point I decided I had had enough and left, not even hazarding a look back!
I took my family into Scarborough to B's Homemade Ice Cream and everyone enjoyed it very much. Hope this helps some poor soul in need of ice Cream.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Mama's Ice Cream

Post by Hugh S »

One of my favorite stops. Never had the experience you describe, just excellent ice cream.

Better luck next time. Worth a second try.

Hugh 8)
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

Thanks for the encouragement Hugh, I have a very strong stomach and will eat almost anywhere. However, the housekeeping was not the only issue and I for one refuse to patronise businesses that neglect to provide good service. I can easily overlook how delicious the fare might be or how good the price but when it comes to poor attitude, I take my business elsewhere.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

If Bash is an "Indian" Trini (? and looks and sounds like one) then one has to wonder if his poor reaction was due to the antipathy against Trinis which can often be found in Tobagonians. Very sad but true. He should go back there wearing a US stars and stripes t shirt and a 10 gallon hat saying "howdy little lady" and see if he gets different treatment (am being semi-serious!)
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Yup,

It always works for me, pardner! 8)
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

Glyn, I have to admit I look "Indian" although I'm a Trini. I'm grinning like a fool after reading your comment, I never even thought of the antipathy thing! I'm given to a deeper understanding of the lady's reaction now because us Trinis often make it bad for ourselves by our behavior when in Tobago (I often take great pains when in Tobago to let folks know that not all "Trinis" are like that). Thanks for the advice, gonna get me some duds now for mah next trip!
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Racial resentments are so common in every nation, just look at the USA with the problems they have had/are having, that they are probably normal, if sad really. We have or had some of the same resentments and prejudices here in the UK amongst some folks in modern times, against blacks/Irish and lately Romanians etc. I used to book Tobago guest houses via a modest online agency and some of the owners refused to accept Trini bookings, citing horror stories of Trini families heading back to the ferry with the apartment toaster/microwave/lightbulbs etc in the car boot. The thing is that 90% of the Trinis were great, it was the minority which tarnished it for the majority. At our own little resort we used to accept anyone including Trinis (and even the occasional Tobagonian couple who wanted some privacy) and never had any problems, in fact our worst issues around dirt and damage were from a very wealthy American family from NYC who trashed a cabin, so thick skinned I don't even think they realised so it wasn't malicious! But these guest house owners could easily deter the problem bookings and minimise losses by introducing a booking damage deposit system as most UK cottages for hire do, about TT$1000 would solve it. It would reduce their bookings from the bad ones and also some good ones who doubted it would be returned, but overall it might help? Keep smiling
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

I think Glyn´s advice about a depost is good, think about car rentals, same reason there.

And its a sad fact that a few bad peoples mostly give problems for all the others, its enough if 1% behaive bad, that destroy the trust for same type of visitors. Same problems never mind which country you go to.
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

Thank you Ronald, I agree that Peter pays for Paul often is the case but I think Trinidadian visitors especially should make a concious effort to reduce this stigma and stereotype (refusing to sneak additional guests into rooms, saving the river lime behavior for the river, leaving the people appliances in place, cleaning up on the last day of your stay etc.). Glyn, I'm starting to wonder if this resentment is race based or against Trinis in general. Tobago is so serene and clean (in certain places) that I believe few of us Trinidadians even recognize this, we always seem to want bacchanal, mash up de place or some sort of drunken, curry-duck and loud music laden fete! I have nothing against these activities but often the time and place are totally wrong (try telling that to any Trini, I wish you luck!)
People seem to think that if they're on a holiday anything goes. I have personally witnessed a Trini couple and their son bring guests, eight to ten sometimes, to the guest house where we were staying and have all-night pool parties without the management's knowledge (they lived elsewhere and left by 5pm). This was over the Christmas and New Year season in 2013 and left me feeling terribly robbed of my enjoyment of the Holidays with my family! I promised myself then and there to never allow myself to become this version of "Trini". Despicable!
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Well I don´t know how it´s at guest houses, as I always rent an apartment in Crown Point. But I CAN tell about the situation at Store Bay Beach.
Some years ago almost all left big packs of garbage at the beach when they left, now a days ALL Trinis clean up when the leave. What´s left on the beach are mostly from locals, kids and some visitors.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Bash as my Dad was from San Juan and I have heaps of Trini relations I recognise the kind of carrying on you describe so amusingly (or frustratingly if you are trying to sleep). I recall one of my close relations constantly throwing his cans out of his car on the highway in Trinidad, and when we challenged him he would always reply the same old "I am helping d poor people as d government give dem work nah, to pick it up". Of course he conveniently ignored the trash causing blockages of drains and flooding out of the poor people's villages in rainy season. That said, the only time anyone ever sneaked in an extra person into our own resort was an Englishwoman who we gace a single person discount to after some email haggling, who then tried to sneak another woman past our owners' cottage by her friend covertly stooping down trying to walk behind her Samsonite. We asked them to leave that night and refunded her, sensing trouble. So every nation has its "trashy" persons, it is just that not many UK ones reach T&T. On a positive note stemming from the recession and fall-off of European tourists, I now see occasional Trini reviews of accommodation on here which I knew used to reject Trini bookings, back in the day when they could afford to be choosy! Progress I guess, by necessity :)
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

Thank you Glyn for your reminder that there are indeed those among us with some (ahem) decency. Please don't get me wrong, I am no prude or killjoy; I love music, dancing and even an occasional drink or three! It's nice to hear that your Dad was from San Juan, I was born on Sunshine Avenue and never moved far, always within the area. I take my family (wife and three boys 20, 19 and 2 years old) to Tobago for a little different air sometimes and lately as a brain-cooler after exams. My eldest is a national scholarship winner and will be starting med school in September. On our last visit we definitely had the best one yet and already plotting our escape! All the best and thanks for your interest and comments.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Brilliant news for you and your eldest, you must be very proud. T&T does produce some brilliant highly educated people, so there is hope for the country, if some of them stick around to make a difference. Hope all goes well and you make it back to Tobago and see if Mamas owners have been reading this thread and offer Trinis better service in future (I am holding my breath) :)
Bash Ram
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Bash Ram »

Thanks again and yes I am trying to instill some patriotic loyalty into my boys, with great success thus far. Not trying to be political or anything but we have seen some marked improvement in recent years, particularly with regards to delivery of public projects, infrastructure and social programs. Hope this continues as we go forward, regardless of which entity holds the reins. On my next trip to Tobago, I will definitely return to Mama's and let you know the results, I suppose one has to be always hopeful. You may breathe now... :oops:

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”