Dec 26 and groceries

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
AndrewS
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Dec 26 and groceries

Post by AndrewS »

Are groceries generally open on Dec 26? If not generally, are there any? Thanks.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Dec 26 and groceries

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Andrew

No one has replied to your query so far so I thought I should chip in with an insufficient response.

I have visited Tobago over the last 4 Christmas' and I haven't got a clue who is open because I have stocked up as I suppose you would before Christmas.

But I am sensing that your query arises because you could be arriving on Christmas or Boxing Day and that you are not staying in a resort ... and facing the dire consequences of extreme malnutrition.

So if that is the case one option would be to take some food with you (in your main baggage) to keep you going.

But if you are staying in a Villa, apartment or guesthouse I would suggest you ask the manager or proprietor if they could get some basics together such as bread, milk, eggs, cigars and plenty of booze :mrgreen: ... it should not be any trouble to them and you can square it off on arrival or send a covering payment in advance.

I am arriving on a Sunday this Christmas and I know the Supermarkets close at about 4 pm before I am released into the Tobago Community and my host is doing my shopping for me so there will be plenty of Gin, Rum and mixes for dinner and breakfast and then it's off to the supermarket in the morning (my carer will be driving of course).

If the above innovative ideas don't work I could help you but only if you are visiting Castara.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
AndrewS
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by AndrewS »

Thank you, Paul. You deduced everything correctly. Arriving Dec 25, staying in a guesthouse. I realized the easiest way to get my question answered was just to call Penny Savers and ask if they would be open on the 26th. Answer: "No, sweetie." The guesthouse manager has kindly offered to stock a few things to keep body and soul together until Penny Savers opens on Dec. 27.

We will be in Castara, in fact. So if you want to split the cost of a ride to Penny Savers on Dec. 27, let me know.

Kind regards,
Andrew
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hello Andrew

I am arriving on the 18th, a week before Christmas, I will have a car so I can give you a ride to any Penny Savers on the 27th.

I am sure I will need more Gin by the 27th so if you need a ride ... no problem, plus there is plenty of room in my jeep for shopping.

Are you staying at the Naturalist by any chance?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Once the local stores open you will find just about everything you need , fruit, veg, meat , Shirma, Hazel bake bread most days, or wait for the ladies at the bead oven baking on Saturdays/Wednesday's, fish always available. As Paul said , ask your host to get a few basics for you. Bring your tea or favourite coffee , toiletries maybe?
My must have is 1/2 gallons of Stephens milk rather than UHT and Snyders Jalapeño pretzel pieces otherwise we shop locally as we feel the need.
We eat a lot of 'see' food.
You see something , buy it, it could be out of stock tomorrow !
AndrewS
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by AndrewS »

Thanks, Paul and Chris. If I remember to bring Nutella for the kids, I imagine we'll survive.

Paul, I appreciate the offer and will PM my contact info.

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”