Mill's Guesthouse, Scarborough

Small guest house in Scarborough
Julia D

Mill's Guesthouse, Scarborough

Post by Julia D »

Located on the hill on the way up to the Fort (Young Street, 639 2193), the guesthouse looks very pretty and well maintained from the outside, and has good views from the communal terrace. Unfortunately, the room we were given was probably the grimmest place we stayed in while we were in Tobago - the kitchen area was very dated, the floor was peeling up in places, the carpet in the bedroom was quite dirty, the light was broken in the bathroom and once we unpacked we realised that 2 window panes were missing from the bedroom window. The guesthouse was full, so we were moved into a slightly better, cleaner room which was shared with the cleaner (separated by a curtain). We paid $180TT for the night. To be fair, I have a feeling that the rooms upstairs were better maintained and we just happened to be unfortunate enough to get the last remaining room!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Julia

Mill's Guesthouse? That's a new one on me, so I need to get it on our listings.

Can you tell me any more about it? How many rooms does it have in total? Did you find it by chance, were you recommended to it or did you find it on the Internet? Did you gave email contact with them beforehand?

Anything you can tell me will help.

Thanks.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Julia D

Post by Julia D »

It is listed in the Rough Guide to T&T. We telephoned to make our reservation, but there is an email address given ([email protected]). I'm not sure how many rooms there are. The RG gives it a fairly positive write-up, which is why I suspect the rooms upstairs are nicer than the ones we were given!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks Julia

I'm just amazed that anywhere would have the nerve to ask you to share a room with a member of staff, or anyone else, just separated by a curtain. Does that mean that the cleaner had to pass through your room if he/she wanted to leave the room?

Incidentally, when I've added it to the listing in a day or two, I'll transfer your report. How many stars would you award the place?
Steve Wooler
Julia D

Post by Julia D »

Yes she did have to pass through our room to leave. It was a bit odd, but we didn't discover the missing window panes until late evening, so we really had no other choice but to accept the shared room! I think we probably would have found somewhere else to stay had we noticed earlier. I would give it 1 out of 5 (or 0 if that's an option) - it definitely spoiled our experience of Scarborough!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Amazing!

I dispair of some of these travel writers. Mind you, that's largely the problem of listings that are based on paid-inclusion rather than honest and proper research. I haven't seen the latest edition of the Rough Guide, so I can't comment on the rest of their listings, but this is very dissapointing.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Mill's Guesthouse”