Guest Report

1 or 2-bedroom wooden cottage at Parlatuvier (listing)
Carol Palmer

Guest Report

Post by Carol Palmer »

This well-designed B & B run by Bea and Win exceeds expectations combining comfortable ambience, thoughtful hosts, well-appointed rooms and fabulous views. They have heaps of local knowledge and are happy to make suggestions and bookings as well as setting out to be as helpful and accommodating as possible. They have snorkelling gear for you to borrow, and bamboo sticks to help walking the trails. Wellies (I took short ones) or ‘water shoes’ are very useful by the way.

Set above a forested river gorge with sea views and landscaped gardens Gloucester Place offers tranquil days spent reading, looking out over the terrace, with an afternoon dip in the pool, watching the humming birds feeding on the flowers, or adventures on foot to the bottom of the sloping garden where there is a mini waterfall, I found a humming bird nest, and saw my first agouti, or .... to Glasgow Bar just a few mins walk up the road with wonderful views over Parlatuvier Bay and a walk down to it from there. As well as that there are at least two other rivers to be explored on foot – one for a short distance, and one for longer with more opportunities to spot birds.

If you’ve hired a car, 15 mins drive North takes you to the Main Ridge road that traverses the forest from coast to coast where there are plentiful birds to be seen, and to Bloody Bay with its herons, sandpipers and pelicans, and to Castara in the opposite direction (10 min drive), again with pelicans and snorkelling/swimming where you’ll find sting rays and Hawksbill Turtles, while flying over head at regular intervals, the Magnificent Frigate Birds. The coastline up here is very empty and unspoilt with the most touristy place being Castara.

Thank you Bea and Win for a very special introduction to Tobago.

Return to “Essex Cottage at Gloucester Place”