Guest Report

1 or 2-bedroom wooden cottage at Parlatuvier (listing)
Suzanne Ueda

Guest Report

Post by Suzanne Ueda »

We stayed at Gloucester Place for 4 nights over the New Year holiday. We wanted to stay on the northwest side of Tobago in order to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the rain forest as well as the coast and visit some of the lovely, undisturbed beaches we had read about.
The location was perfect for exploring the area. It is a quick 10-minute drive south to Castara and about 30 minutes to Charlottesville at the northern tip. The property is just off the main road so it was not too difficult to find, although we did make use of Google maps just to be sure. Despite being next to the road, once you go inside, it is very quiet and peaceful. The open layout makes the most of the fantastic view that greets you as you pass out onto the veranda. Although I did not try the infinity pool during the stay, it was certainly inviting!

From our corner room on the second floor, the Concord, we had a wonderful view of the water below. There are flowering plants all around the house which attract hummingbirds. It was a wonderful treat to walk out on our private balcony in the morning and wait for a hummingbird to flitter about the flowers. We not only enjoyed the lush greenery of the grounds in the day, but the bountiful stars in the night sky! I haven't seen that many stars so bright and clear for some time! It was a most welcome surprise.

The room itself is simply decorated, but it needs little else. The high, wood-beam cathedral ceiling is splendid. And it has an unusual onsite bathroom. It is separated from the main bedroom only by a partial wall, so you should be comfortable with your roommate!

Bea and Win are generous, easy-going hosts. They give you the run of the house to come and go as you please, and are very helpful with advice about activities to do to fill the day if you decide to do that instead of lounging by the pool. When my husband suddenly had his fishing plans cancelled, Win was very helpful, introducing him to a local fisherman who was willing to take him out on short notice and despite the difficult weather.
It was nice to see how they really supported the community. After admiring the bird feeders handing in the dining area, Bea informed me that they were locally handcrafted and that she knew the artist and would happily take me to his place, or else I could simply purchase the ones she had and she would replenish them afterward. So, I bought two right then and there! They are unique souvenirs that will be going to family in Japan and Canada. They'll love them I'm sure!
We enjoyed their hearty homemade breakfasts as well, which was a nice change from the buffet style of hotel restaurants.

It had been awhile since we stayed at a B&B and our stay at Gloucester Place certainly reminded us of the appeal of doing so. It is much more relaxing and personal, and I think the best way to enjoy the local lifestyle.

Return to “Essex Cottage at Gloucester Place”