Guest Report

1 or 2-bedroom wooden cottage at Parlatuvier (listing)
Veronika

Guest Report

Post by Veronika »

Spending 2 months, January and February, at Essex Cottage, with Bea and Win as “neighbors”, next to the Main Ridge Forest Reserve and overlooking the Caribbean sea, was as close to paradise as I have ever been. Located at Northside road, just above Parlatuvier Bay, living in this natural, well designed and very comfortable wooden house, above the canopy of tropical trees, makes one feel as part of nature itself. Bea and Win are most perfect hosts, very easy going, knowledgeable, interesting and friendly. For you foodies: Bea is an exceptional, very creative cook. Win has been so helpful in every big and little way throughout our entire stay.

As bird lovers, we enjoyed many hours relaxing, just watching and listening to birds, like Bananaquits, bluegray Tanagers, Palm Tanagers, orangewinged Parrots, the magnificent Frigates and many more. We even saw barred antshrikes, greater Ani, Motmot and whitetailed sabrewing right from the terrace. When getting up in the morning, albeit sleeping some more after the early loud chatter of Chachalacas would wake us, I was greeted by the beautiful and varied songs of my special friend, a tropical Mockingbird, demanding loudly his Papaya breakfast and always answering my own, less artfully whistled melodies greeting him back. In the evenings, we would feed Agoutis; in time, they became less shy and we could observe them holding bananas and such with their forehands, sitting and munching. On the guided tour through the Rainforest, we saw, of course, many more birds: bluebacked Manakin, rufoustailed Jacamar, collared Trogon, goldenolive Woodpecker, different hummingbirds and many more of those beautiful tropical species.

Bea and Win introduced us to many people from Parlatuvier, we found them to be very friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed talking to them. Win offered to order Lobster from a fisher who catches them close to the rocks in the sea right below the guesthouse. What a treat, to be able to prepare them then and there, so fresh and tasty.

Of course, we travelled all over the Island, walked the beautiful path to the Argyle Fall, drove along the Atlantic Coast from Speyside to Crown Point, went shopping at Scarborough, eat Ice Cream at quaint Charlotteville and checked out different beaches like Pigeon Point, Mt. Irvine Bay and scenic Stonehaven Bay. Our favourite beach though was the pristine, laidback and quite Englishman’s bay, only 3 minutes from the cottage; there we enjoyed swimming, watching Pelicans fish and just taking in all the beauty around us.

Dear reader, how can I ever stop telling you about paradise? Bea and Win, with their upscale Gloucester Place Guest House and self catering Essex Cottage will be your best choice if you value quality, friendliness, beauty, peacefulness and easy going; I have never experienced better.

Return to “Essex Cottage at Gloucester Place”