Guest Report

1 or 2-bedroom wooden cottage at Parlatuvier (listing)
Michel Desjardins

Guest Report

Post by Michel Desjardins »

My wife and I spent a glorious week at Gloucester Place in February. Leaving Canada that time of year for the warmth of Tobago shortened our winter, to be sure, but this was no ordinary B&B, and Tobago is no ordinary tourist island.
It was our first trip to this island, and we loved it. The population is small, much of the island is undeveloped (great walks, extensive bird population), and the villages are mainly local people.

We sought out a location on Tobago that took us away from the main centres, and that turned out to be an excellent decision. It took us about 90 minutes, driving slowly, to make our way to Bea and Winn’s place with a rental car, and that drive gave us an excellent opportunity to start appreciating the island. I wouldn’t want to make the trip at night, since the roads are narrow and driving is on the left, but during the day the drive was lovely.

Staying next to Parluvier, the tiny (actual) fishing village, allowed us to walk over (10 minutes) or drive (3 minutes) to swim, or walk, or talk with the fishermen. We also ate a few meals there, including two at a terrific private home, on the veranda a few steps from the beach. Ask Bea to call for reservations.

Gloucester Place itself was as stunning as the pictures and website suggest. We stayed in the Carlisle room, with a balcony overlooking the tree tops, the surf below, and the birds nudging us out of our sleep every morning. Breakfasts were delicious (thank you Bea, and Wyn), and we spent countless hours simply sitting by the pool outside the house, reading, drinking, reading, listening to the birds, dipping into the pool, reading…. We returned home calmer, happier, with great memories. We’d return in a heartbeat.

Return to “Essex Cottage at Gloucester Place”