Guest Report

4-bedroom luxury villa at Arnos Vale (listing)
Graeme Tosh

Guest Report

Post by Graeme Tosh »

As one of the premium villas on the island and with a price which reflects that, our group had high expectation.
On the positive side the villa was stunning on first impressions, the design is unique and unlike anywhere we had ever stayed before on a practical side things were not so great.
We were really looking forward to sitting down to a Carribean meal (with rum punch and beers) as was promised on our arrival, we got a bowl of coleslaw and a bowl of chicken rice left for us in the fridge with no drinks (insufficient for 9 hungry and thirsty travellers) but luckily we knew where to pick up Pizza.
The level of house keeping was poor for the size of the villa, our maid was nice but was unable to manage the cleaning in her couple of hours per day. We spent hours of each day doing dishes and washing towels, not how I had planned to spend my vacation.
The garden was unruly (no longer possible to see the jetty or sunset from the pool area like in the promotion pics) the outside shower was dusty and dirty, the pool area was not cleaned prior to our arrival or at all during our stay and the lower sun deck was covered with black moss and rotting leaves.
We know the island really well and could not recommend this villa to island virgins, it is isolated and 30 mins from the best beaches.

Architecture and wow factor - 5 Stars
Service and attention - 1 Star
Gillian
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Re: Guest Report

Post by Gillian »

Hi Graeme,

Sorry to hear that your stay at "Soleil" was so unpleasant, as this is not at all what you said to us while you were here, or when you were leaving.

Regarding inside cleaning, sorry that you were disappointed with our new housekeeper Cathy, who is admittedly YES still in training and who confessed to us that she was overwhelmed by the # of dirty dishes and towels, not to mention the bed-making and the daily changing of dye-soiled pillow cases that she told us had to go on daily.

She sends to say that she is very sorry that you were unhappy with her service but that it was really the best she could provide in the FOUR hours she said she was there every day. And 3 to 4 is, you know, the norm # of hours of service provided in these post-Victorian times here in Tobago.

Regarding cleaning of exterior surfaces, once again we apologise that, with all the trees and constantly dropping leaves with the sea breeze, it's not always obvious that someone has been there, trying to keep up with the elemental adventure that "Soleil" just is!

Secondly, regarding rates, not sure if Kate told you but it was only after a bit of negotiation that I did agree to the lesser rate of 650 USD a night (regular rate = 800 USD for all 5 bedrooms), which is what you paid for the 2 weeks you stayed at "Soleil, was in the end something we decided we could not afford to pass up in low season.

And the thing you might not understand about a lesser rate is that, in these tough financial times, for the owners' sake, the frills do have to be semi-cut but YES I guess it is my fault, as the booking agent, for not explaining this to Kate beforehand.

So in particular then, regarding the welcome meal, I personally sent an email beforehand, asking whether there were any preferences with regards to expected content -- which is when drinkers do usually advise as to preferred refreshment --but I received no email reply back from Kate, except for one much later asking whether there was a radio or some kind of player (which of course there is!).

And, anyway, for the record, as soon as we were made aware of your dissatisfaction, did we not immediately go out and buy not one but 2 bottles of the expected rum punch?

Sorry that our purchase of neither the expected rum punch, nor the fishing rods that are not advertised on our website but that one of your party complained about not having, is mentioned in your review.

All of us here at "Soleil" do appreciate you sharing your thoughts, though, as this is the only way we can know how to keep having happy guests.

Especially regarding your complaint about not having enough loungers for everyone to lay out, as we explained, two of those antique wooden ones had just broken and we were waiting for a special carpenter who was sticking and hadn't come to fix them yet. And were it not for you rightfully complaining about this, we would not have that same day gone out and bought 6 of the ordinary white plastic ones that we had been so desperately trying to avoid but that, thanks to you, knew had to be purchased without delay!

Though finally, regarding location, please excuse me begging to differ as "Soleil" is definitely not 30 mins. from the best beaches, or are you not counting Arnos Vale Beach which is two minutes away and one of the best for snorkeling, or Grafton and Mt. Irvine, which are both gorgeous and less than a 15 minute drive away.

yours sincerely,
Gillian Connelly
on behalf of "Team Soleil"

Return to “Soleil”