Snokelling

What to see, what to do, where to go
Mark Entz
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Snokelling

Post by Mark Entz »

Hello first visit to Tobago coming up next week for my wife and I! We are interesting in visiting some beaches that have good snokelling and the "pros and cons" of each beach. Your updated information would be very welcome. Thank you.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Snokelling

Post by Paul Tallet »

Aha ... one of my favourite subjects.

At this time of year, your snorkeling experience is very much dependent on sea conditions. Quite often the seas are quite heavy and this can make the visibility around some of the best snorkeling sites very poor.

The other factor is how well you can swim and how far you are prepared to go to visit a site that is 'off piste' so to speak.

In calm conditions the best snorkeling is on the south side of Mount Irvine Bay, the North side of Castara, north side of Englishman's Bay (if you are a strong swimmer) and in many areas around Man o War Bay in Charlottesville. There is also good snorkeling around the breakwater off Coco Reef Hotel ... this Hotel has a private Beach that is sheltered by the breakwater and you can swim all around it although I noticed restrictions here that are intended to protect swimmers from speeding boats.

If the sea is heavy you choose other options and most of these require a boat. Plenty will offer you boat trips.

Many options ... there are many trips from Crown Point (Store Bay) that take you to see the Coral Gardens of Buccoo Reef on a glass bottom boat ... the water here is normally very clear. Some trips take you up the Caribbean Coast as far as Englishman's Bay and Castara (a Catamaran trip is very popular ... look out for Island Girl).

Another popular site is Arnos Vale. Good by Boat but not advised to visit by land.

Then we have Speyside ... there are trips to a reef just in front of Goat Island and an even better experience is a drift snorkel between Goat Island and Little Tobago.

There are some lovely sites from Charlottesville but it is a little less organised here ... I have done about a 1 mile swim to get out to a beautiful reef near Booby Island but I have to be honest that it is easier by boat ... there are currents and you need to be careful unless you are a strong swimmer.

If you are new to Tobago it will do you no harm to take a boat trip and pick the brains of the team looking after you ... in this way you can have a better assurance that your snorkeling will be a safe experience.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Sea conditions at the moment are great! Really clear here in Castara................great visibility!
Arnos Vale, Celery Bay, Pirates Bay have been great the last week.
Mark Entz
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Mark Entz »

Thank you Paul and Chris for your information. We already have a tour with Island Girl set up. We'll use you suggestions for the rest of our time there! Thanks Again.

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”