How to find other solo/independent travelers in Tobago?

What to see, what to do, where to go
Sujata14
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

How to find other solo/independent travelers in Tobago?

Post by Sujata14 »

Hi all,

I'm finally here - arrived a couple of days ago. I'll be staying in Black Rock for a couple of weeks, right in front of a beach and have been enjoying the blissful weather and walks on the beach, the sounds of the birds, the ocean, the roosters ... it's all been lovely.

I'm here for a couple of months, so I've been in no rush to immediately start running around sightseeing, as I have the luxury of time.

The locals are telling me it's safe to walk up and down the beach ie the beach in front of Birdie's Nest (Great Courtland Bay) and all the way to Turtle Beach Resort and even beyond. But there is hardly ever anybody on this bay and I'm finding that despite their assurances, I can't really relax, because of having read on this forum never to be alone on any beach. Yesterday evening, I decided to go for a walk anyway as the sunset was so spectacular and the bay looked stunning ... I didn't want to be anywhere but right on the beach with my feet in the water! Yet as it started getting darker, I started feeling scared and began to hurry back "home". Am I worrying for nothing?

I've been thinking that it would be great to connect with other solo travelers who might be in a similar dilemma. And I am wondering how I can find them. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Sujata
GervaisAlkins
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Re: How to find other solo/independent travelers in Tobago?

Post by GervaisAlkins »

Hi,
I used to work with the sea-turtle group that was based in the Black Rock area and we had a number of foreign volunteers who used to stay in Black Rock (at Birdie's Nest also) during the summers. I always asked the volunteers especially lone females to walk in groups at night since most of the work we did was after dark. In my experience we never had a incident with anyone who walked on the beaches at night alone despite me telling them not to. I can't advise you whether or not to walk the beaches late but the thing about the Fort Bennett side of Grand Courland is that there's homes close to the beach and a security guard booth at the entrance to Fort Bennett so it's not an 'isolated' area per se. But I guess in recent times it's better to be safe than sorry.
As for meeting solo travellers one of my regular haunts was Mt Irvine beach because I was really into watersports and was an avid body-boarder. Numerous younger solo surfers & travellers hang out there in the winter months when the swells from the north reach, string up hammocks and 'lime' on the beach all day long.
Mt Irvine beach is safe because there are lifeguards present, security-guards and there's the beach bar and toilet/bathing facilities. Otherwise that's the only place I know where foreigners congregate since it's centred around watching the waves and getting a glimpse or being part of the local surfing culture.
Sujata14
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Re: How to find other solo/independent travelers in Tobago?

Post by Sujata14 »

Hi, Thanks for the great info! Mt Irvine is definitely very lively, and I will be sure to check it out more. Grafton beach is my favorite so far and feels very safe as well.

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”