walking around Castara

What to see, what to do, where to go
Sally Hudson

walking around Castara

Post by Sally Hudson »

Hi,
We are about to visit Tobago for the first time on 12th August. It's a last minute decision (we were due to come next February but reading all the information on this website has made us unable to wait!) so I haven't had as much time to sit and quietly absorb all the information that is on this site. We are staying in Castara and hiring a jeep so that we can go off diving for a few mornings. The rest of the time we would like to spend exploring as much of the Castara area as possible. What I was wondering is, is it possible to go off walking in the forest alone (with family) or can it only be done with a guide? Are there any rules against walking without a guide or is it just for safety/interest reasons that a guide is recommended? We thought that we would try and arrange one walk with a guide but I am not sure how I will cope with the heat and humidity so I'm nervous about booking a tour in case I'm not up to it. And finally, for fear of sounding really pathetic and stupid, are there leaches in the forest or have I been watching too many David Attenborough programmes?!
Thanks,
Sally
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Sally

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Yes, there are certainly no rules/laws against walking alone in the rainforest, but it is not really recommended - particularly if you are new to Tobago. For a start, unless you were very careful to stick to the main trails there's always the danger of wandering off the track and getting lost. Unlikely, but possible. If you are staying in Castara you have several choices of good tour companies and guides and at that time of year, I'm sure you would find them very flexible and understanding should you book a tour and then not feel up to it.

The only leeches you are likely to come across on main trails, like the Gilpin Trail in the Main Ridge Rainforest Reserve, are the guides hanging around the entrance. Another good reason to go with a pre-booked guide.

Have a great time and be sure to let us know how you get on.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Sally Hudson

walking around Castara

Post by Sally Hudson »

Thanks Steve, and thank you so much for this wonderful website.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Sally,when you get to Castara,go and see Merline Jackson at the rum shop/general store as you enter the village.Ask her to put you in touch with Kelly,a young man that knows the forest and all the critturs and flora,he will "tailor make" a tour within your capabilities.Otherwise I agree with Steve,don't go in unguided(except to Casatara Waterfall--find out more when you are there.)Have a lovely time,
David(127 and counting :D )
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Sally,

good choice to go to Castara. You will love the place. If you don't find Kelly (I really don't know him yet), ask for Jackson for a rainforest trip anywhere in the village.
As David said you can walk to the waterfall which is close to the village and it is also a nice walk to Englishmans Bay along the road (it normally takes me one hour but that does not mean much because I walk very slowely). :oops:
If you rent a car you can easily reach all the other nice places in Tobago.

Where will you stay?

Enjoy your time in Tobago and especially in Castara.

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Sally Hudson

Re: walking in castara

Post by Sally Hudson »

Thanks Gisella,
We are staying at Castara Retreats, in Coasthanger Lodge. I am really excited as it was a last minute booking (I usually book my holidays a year in advance!), but I'm also a bit nervous as I don't know what it will be like. It all sounds lovely but I'm worried I might not be able to find any fish to buy at the fish market or that the retaurants will all be closed! If all else fails I will just sit on my balcony looking at that incredible view.
Sally
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Sally,chill out girl!Castara is a fishing village,you by your fish fresh from the fishermen.As for restaurants-there are at least 6 in Castara so one of them will be open.Just chill,have a good time and be prepared for a very laid back experience.
David :D
Sally Hudson

Post by Sally Hudson »

Thanks David,
Honest, I can chill out, it's just that I tend to put myself through total panic first! I'm a bit like my dog when she goes to bed - she goes round and round in circles making pointless scratchings at her blanket before she finally slumps down in a heap and heaves a satisfied sigh! :roll:
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Sally,

Castara Retreats! Lucky you! You really don't have to worry but on the other side Castara will make you feel like you are in heaven because none of the things you worry about will happen :-)

And if - there is always an easy way to compare or find a solution and the locals will help you with this. As David says (how many days, David?) just chill out and relax. Tobagonians call this liming and you will find out how good this is.

Say hello to everybody in Castara from Shorty and enjoy your holiday
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Sally,

Castara Retreats! Lucky you! You really don't have to worry but on the other side Castara will make you feel like you are in heaven because none of the things you worry about will happen :-)

And if - there is always an easy way to compare or find a solution and the locals will help you with this. As David says (how many days, David?) just chill out and relax. Tobagonians call this liming and you will find out how good this is.

Say hello to everybody in Castara from Shorty and enjoy your holiday
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
Sioned And Tim Sims

Post by Sioned And Tim Sims »

Hi Sally
You should have a fantastic time in Castar, as Gisela wrote it is a bit like heaven. Don't worry about buying fish, ask Porridge ( he runs Castara Retreats for the owners) and he will give you advice about the best times to go down to the market or about anything else. I found it a bit daunting the first time but you soon get the hang of it. You must go on a rain-forest walk, I'm a plump (fat is such a horrid word) middle aged woman whose only form of daily exercise is a brisk walk to the fridge a few time a day and I went for my first one last December with Kelly and saw so much, it was well worth it and will go again, the heat was no problem.
The only thing I should warn you about is, you will get hooked, we stayed in Coasthanger last December and on my first day back in the UK I was organizing our next trip. You don,t have to worry about anything, just get excited.
Have a great time.
Regards
Sioned
Sally Hudson

Post by Sally Hudson »

Hi Sioned,
Thanks for the reassurance - I was worried about the heat but after a week in Pembrokeshire the tropics will seem a doddle!!( Not often you can say that!) I hope we do like Castara as we've done it the opposite way to most people - we already have our return trip booked - in February. We had just booked our first vist to Tobago for February when the trouble flared up in Israel and we decided that we didn't fancy our planned diving trip to the Sinai just at the moment. As Tobago was fresh in my mind and sounded wonderful I thought I'd just look and see if there was any availability and couldn't believe it when I found accommodation and flights at such short notice. So here I am, only 12 days to go and it's very exciting but also a bit scary.

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”