First time visiting tobago, what should i do!

What to see, what to do, where to go
Kevin Blender

First time visiting tobago, what should i do!

Post by Kevin Blender »

Hello everybody,

My girlfriend and I are going to tobago for a week in August. We are both in our early 20s and are just dying for our vacation to begin. Everybody here seems to be an expert at travelling in comparison to me.

So what should we do while in Tobago? What things are a must and what can we skim over.

We are staying about a 5-10min drive from the airport. We are planning on visiting many of the beaches, a day trip to scarbarough is a must. We are going to take a tour of some sort, maybe a jeep or boat tour. Ive read quite a few things about the island but people who have been there often must know best.

Thanks for any help, Kevin
Roland Siebenhorn
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Roland Siebenhorn »

Hi Kevin,

a week is short and I wouldn't pack the holiday with too much activity.
Our personal highlight on Tobago was a boat trip along the caribbean
coast with stops for snorkeling and barbecue. (Search for Island girl or Kalina Cats)

If you like trekking a rainforest tour with a licensed guide will meet your interest. The flora and fauna is impressive and it's quite adventurous
to hike along a muddy path.

Nightlife is low on Tobago, but the Sunday School in Bucco is a must
for earlytwentyers..... Just take care of your girlfriend! : :wink:

Apart from that I myself would rent a car and explore the island.

Where do you stay exactly? 5-10 minutes drive from the airport is a large area.

Enjoy your holiday!
Go to http://www.locki.net/tobago/bilder.php for my photos of Tobago
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Hi Kevin,

My first advice to anyone visiting Tobago would be to read as much information as you possibly can from this site before you go. Steve Wooler is a God, there is very little he does not know about the island and there is always someone else on the forums to fill in any gaps.
Tobago is a wonderful island, I am in the process of planning my third holiday there - a mere 'Tobago virgin' by the standard of many users on this site!

What would I reccomend you to do during your stay?
1 - Lime, Tobago speak for relax, have a drink, enjoy doing nothing. We all love the totally laid back lifestyle on Tobago, and if you don't get around to doing everything you planned as you are too busy liming, who cares, it will all still be there when you return for your next holiday :D
2 - Hire a car and explore, it really is very hard to get lost, maps are available everywhere, petrol is incredibly cheap. It is so much easier to get the 'feel' of the island exploring on your own than on an island tour.
3 - Having said that, an island tour is great to get your bearings and learn some of the history and customs of Tobago.
4 - Talking of history, the First Historical Cafe (more info on this site,and no I don't know where the second historical cafe is!) is well worth a visit.
5 - Take a boat trip, Nylon pool is incredible, snorkling is amazing, scuba available if you know how (I don't) and the coastline is beautiful.
6 - Most importantly, relax and enjoy, chat to the locals in bars, drink lots of Carib and rum punch. Virtually everything you could ever wish to know about Tobago is available on this site, so take the time to have a good read.

I hope this has been useful to you, have a great holiday and don't forget to share your experiences with us when you get back, hotel and restaurant reviews are invaluable to all of us.

Linda
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi,Kevin,and you won't need a day for Scarbro'---it's not a metropolis but an over grown village.But I love it!!
David(getting closer) :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Yes you do need a day in Scarborough David, two hours at the very most to do the shops (twice as us girlies always have to go back to buy from the first shop :wink: ), and the rest of the day to sample every flavour ice-cream from Ciao Cafe!!

Linda
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Linda P,yes you could be right,but in my case it would be rum shops and Carib!!!!!!!! :wink:
David
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Kevin

About some beaches...

Arnos Vale Beach is great for snorkeling but the beach itself is no longer so nice as the sea has taken away tons of sand.

Black Rock Beach is the biggest, but it can look very different from week to week dependingof the weather. Sometimes there's lot of black sand sometimes not. Mostly very few peoples on the beach, hotel Grafton has a beach bar there.

Pidgeon Point Beach has changed a lot during the last 10 years, the sea has creating a new, but smaller, Pidgeon Point Beach. Much of the sand is moved around the corner, facing Bucco. But toilets & showers do work now, which they didn't do last year. The Government is going to do more changes on this area too.

Store Bay Beach is still the same, they haven't lost any sand. For me it's the best beach, even if the beach can be crowed some days during T&T vacations. Nice sand, not to warm water and still a safe place.

Canoe Beach is a quiet beach, it cost 15TTD to get in. The area is green, yoy can lay on the grass just few meters away from the water. But the water is very shallow, you can walk 50-60m and still it's not deep water, therefore the water are always too warm for me.

Bacolet Beach is a small nice beach nearby Scarborough, very few visitors, mostly from hotel Blue Heaven. The sand is darker, sometimes nearly black, and it's a hard beach because of the Atlantic sea. There's a beach bar there own by the hotel, so the prices are a little bit high. A small bottle of water cost 15TTD, in the small shop on the road the same bottle cost 3TTD!

The sun is very hot this year. It's not hotter as you see the temp, but somehow the sky seems to be very clear this year. I've been here every years since '92 and I'm using twice higher sun protection this year.

Not much rain so fare, no really bad weather around eighter. Have a nice vacation, don't try to see-do too much, relaxing also take time.
Ronald
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

If you want beaches then it is Castara!Big Bay--huge with nobody there except fisher men,and Heavenly(Little)Bay where the reef amost reaches the beach.A bar or two on both beaches,half a dozen real eating places(Brentons lobster,Veras,roti,Cascreole,in the trees and more within a couple of minutes walk)Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!I'll be there soon!
David :D
Adrian Brown

Post by Adrian Brown »

We've just booked a week at Blue Haven in October. Reading this I'm now getting excited!

Great website Steve.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Welcome aboard, Adrian. :D

You're in for a treat.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Shanna

Booked a vacation at Sandypoint Beach Resort

Post by Shanna »

My boyfriend and I are headed to Tobago Sept.22 and staying 2 weeks. It's our frist visit and we're super excited :P I have been reading this forum for a few days now and have gotton great info. I guess what were trying to decide now is if we should learn to scuba dive while were there or not.

We absolutely love the underwater world. We have been to Belize "Ambergris Caye" several times and spend much of our time in the water snorkeling.
Any suggestions?
I just don't want to miss out on anything b/c it sounds like Tobago has sooooooooooooooo much to offer and so much to do!!!!
But then again we are fortunate enough to have 2 full weeks in Tobago Yay!!
Shanna
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Shanna

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Well there's certainly some great diving in Tobago and it could make a wonderful focus to your vacation on the island. The island is very small and you can tour it in a day (not in depth, of course) so you would have plenty of time to dive AND tour and go on other trips.

To a certain degree it will depend upon where you are staying, but if your accommodation is in Regions 1 (Crown Point), 2 (Lower Caribbean), 4 (North End) or 5 (Lower Atlantic), then you'll be ideally placed for the dive shops and be able to take advantage of their services without excessive time spent travelling.

Go for it!!!! :D
Steve Wooler
Shanna

Post by Shanna »

Steve - hello :)

Yes, I do believe we are staying in Region 1. The resort is Sandypoint Beach Resort and we were told it's near the airport.
I have read some of the other forums on this site as far as scuba diving but we have not made any solid decisions on it yet. I want an instructor who will be attentive to our needs. Price will also be a consideration.
I have wanted to visit Tobago ever since I saw it listed as one of the top 25 islands to visit in the world in Island Magazine.
So during our visit (Sept 22- Oct 6) I was told this is Carnival time for Tobago and Trinidad? Is this so? I hope to hear some great culteral music while were in Tobago.
Are there any secluded swimming holes? I know there are some waterfalls we should check out - can you swim there too?
If you had to list the top 10 things to do on the island what would it be?
Shanna
Jo Hughes

Post by Jo Hughes »

R & Sea Divers at Pigeon point are very good, i dived with them for the first time this year, they are brilliant!
Shanna

Post by Shanna »

Okay - thanks for the info. Do they have a website or email - I would like to contact them if possible. Overall how much was it to learn to scuba if it was your first time - if you don't mind me asking?

any info provided here is much appreciated :lol:
Shanna

Post by Shanna »

Jo - thanks. I happened to look R & Sea Divers Company up on google and have contacted them via email.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Shanna,normally at the time of year you will be in Tobago there is Tobagofest, mini carnival(actually quite abig event),however this year as the Carifest is in Trini,the powers that be have cancelled the festival in favour of bringing a couple of bands over from Trini.It has proven to be an unpopular move amongst 'Bogonians and is probably to late to change.
David
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Shanna

See our dive features in the Out & About/Activities/Diving menu for full details - including contact information - about diving on Tobago.

R&Sea are one of the island's top dive shops and only a short distance from the Sandy Point. However, the resort has its own dive shop on site - Frontier Divers. I've heard good reports about them and was certainly impressed with what I saw whilst watched them training some novice divers while we were staying at and reviewing the Sandy Point Beach Club. Personally, if you are staying there, I suspect they would be my first port of call.
Steve Wooler
Shanna

Post by Shanna »

Hi David - So there will be no festivies in Trinidad this year but in Tobago?

Steve - I agree using the dive shop onsite at the resort would be much more convenient. I have already contacted them via email and hope to hear from them soon. R & Sea Divers Co. got back to me this morning so I believe it will be between the two. I appreciate all the great advice. I am getting very excited. Only 23 more days - yay!!!

Cheers
Shanna :wink:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Shanna,no festival on Tobago this September,a few bands playing on the seafront in Scarbro'.
David

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”