Off the beating path

What to see, what to do, where to go
Stu Didyk

Off the beating path

Post by Stu Didyk »

My girlfriend and are heading to Tobago on Feb 1st till the 14th from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Anyone stayed at the Hummingbird cottage in Castara? Is this a good central place to stay

We are looking to go see places that arent so touristy and really enjoy the culture and people.

Any suggestions?

We have no planned agenda and plan to just get there and wing it. Can anyone suggest a few top things that not everyone goes to do or see?

Are there many full day trips that arent crammed full things. We dont want set timetables for tours as our watches will be left at home. Are private guides expensive?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stu

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I assume you are referring to Hummingbird Haven in Castara? I haven't visited the apartments myself, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly which building it is and if so, its pretty central within Castara. In fairness, EVERYWHERE in Castara is central to the village (and pretty much for the island, for that matter).

You certainly won't find Castara 'touristy'. A few top things that not everyone goest to do or see? Well, if we mentioned them here, then everyone would go and do or see.

If you're staying in Castara, then use the local tour operators regularly mentioned in our pages - firms like Alibaba and King David, featured in our Reviews section. All their tours are virtually 'private' and are highly unlikely to be with more than one or two other couples, also staying in Castara. Its a good way to meet people, without all the horrors of "mass" tours.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Stu Didyk

Post by Stu Didyk »

Thanks Steve,

We are going to book 3 or so night at this Hummingbird appt. Can anyone recommend a cool place to stay on the south side of the island that is not to close to Scarborough. We also rented a jeep. I am an aggresive driver, how is it driving down there?

Stu
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stu

You are almost spoiled for choice of places in the south of the island. A lot depends upon your budget and what type of place you are looking for. Start by using our Accommodation search facility to list the appropriate type of property, within your budget range, for the Crown Point, Lower Caribbean and Lower Atlantic regions. Don't worry about being near to Scarborough - it is more like a big village than a city.

Aggresive driver? Hmm! I must make a note to keep off the road when I arrive on 3rd February - Tobago has quite enough aggresive driver's without having to worry about a crazy Canuck hurtling down the north coast road. :cry: Oh, I forgot - you say you're renting a jeep, so that means you'll be driving a Japanese coke can, so if you hit anything, at least it will crumple like paper. :P

Joking aside, check out our Driving article (menu: Tobago/Getting Around/Car Hire/Introduction).
Steve Wooler
Stu Didyk

Post by Stu Didyk »

Thanks Steve,

Its too bad I couldnt find a place to rent a Harley!!! Hey we want to pop over to Trinidad for a few days. Is there a forum you recommend for Trini?

Stu
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stu

Believe you me, Tobago is the last place that I would want to ride a Harley. Having said that, you might have a giggle at an article I wrote when there WAS a Harley on the island (see menu: Reviews/Motorcycle Rental). Sadly, lack of demand meant the beast had to go back to Trinidad, where there are more straight smooth roads suitable for a Harley. Believe you me, as much fun as I had on the Harley, the roads out there are far better suited to a medium-size trail bike (death to two-strokes though!!!)
Steve Wooler
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Nope,there ain't and there are enough crazy drivers in paradise.You come to Tobago and you cool it way down,chillier than a Trono winter
David
Stu Didyk

Post by Stu Didyk »

Hey,

The place we are going to is called Hidden Cottage in Castara. Got an email from them saying that payment method is money wire to their UK bank account or mail chrque to UK address. Does this sound normal?

there website is http://hiddencottagetobago.com/cottageinfo.htm

Advise?

Crazy Canuck Stu
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Stu,yes it's ok.The guy that owns them is from Castara but lives/works in the UK.He is usually home for Christmas and Old/New Years.
David(15dtg) :lol:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Stu

Yes, just to confirm David's reassurance, this is perfectly normal and Selvin is totally trustworthy.
Steve Wooler
Stu Didyk

Post by Stu Didyk »

Thanks Steve/David, We are booking today!!!! And they are nice enough to even drop our rental jeep off at the ariport when we arrive.
Stu Didyk

Post by Stu Didyk »

Hey Steve,

Will be there in two weeks!!!! ......... As I stare out my office window and see rush hour traffic, snow and -15 °C weather. Hey we are staying at hidden cottage and they are kicking us out on Feb7th cause they say you are conducting a review of hidden cottage. Thats cool! I dropped a line to Alibaba to see if they could put us up till the 14th.

Stu
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Stu,

so you're leaving on the 14th? Alright, I will stay close to the beach from 11th to 14th for not to get caught by you when you drive along the roads in Castara :wink: Only joking. You will see, that "agressiv driving" is almost impossible it you don't want to kill your car. The roads are horrible and on the landsite you normally can't go faster than 40 km/h.

I hope you will enjoy your trip to Tobago and maybe have a nice Harley ride on Trinidad.

Hidden Cottage is marvelous and you will love it. To reach up the hill a jeep yould be perfect and you can show how good you can drive :wink:

Steve, it looks like we are in Tobago the same time. Hopefully we can have a Carib together. Maybe see you at Codrington one night?

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Stu--

You'll love Castara!! It's a beautiful spot & the people are very friendly. While you're there, be sure to walk back to the waterfalls. Ask in the village & they'll direct you.

Tobago is so small that I don't know why you're bothering to split your vacation between 2 areas. For my money, Castara is the "real Tobago" & the south is just touristy!!

As to going to Trinidad, unless you're a bird watcher & want to spend time in the northern mountains, you need to know that it's not a very safe tourist destination. Lots of gangs & violent crime!! Stick to Tobago!

Have fun.

Joanne Green
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gisela (and Stu)

We're not actually staying at Hidden Cottage (or anywhere else actually IN Castara village this year) but we are doing mini-reviews of two places, in preparation for full reviews in 2008 - sorry, but that's how long it takes to arrange and sort our itinerary. However, we will be in the area, Gisela, for 3 5-day stints between 10th January and mid-February, so just email me and let me know where you're staying and we MUST have a STAG.
Steve Wooler
Mandy H
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Mandy H »

Hey there,

We are staying at Hummingbird apartment in March, so please post your thought of it when you get back!

Thanks!
Stu Didyk

Post by Stu Didyk »

No problem. We are in the hummingbird appt till the 7th and they are going to move us to the Mot Mot appt due to another booking. Linda & Selvin have bee nvery accomodating and cant wait to get there!! Only 7 more sleeps!!

Stu

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”