could anyone give me some advice please

What to see, what to do, where to go
Kelly S

could anyone give me some advice please

Post by Kelly S »

Hello everyone
I am arriving in tobago next week for ten days and am trying to plan what to doI am really interested in the tobago specific things like the rainforest trips and I really want to get the best out of this holiday and have been planning lots of things, but I am worried that I may be overplanning a bit so I was wondering about just booking one day in the rainforest (probably with tobagonow) and then depending on how much we liked it booking another one or a kayaking trip. Is it possible to do this or does everyone gte booked up too far in advance. Also has anyone been on the nighttime walk with king davids tours and would they recommend this. I would really like to go kayaking in the mangroves but I see that the place in charlottsville has changed ownership and I have been unable to get hold of the place via the details on their website. Does anyone know of other places that do kayaking trips in the mangroves?

One last question. Some of my party are going scuba diving while they are there. Are there any companies there that should be avoided or are unsafe?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kelly

Tobago is a chill-out destination and to get the best of the island, I think it important not to over-commit yourself otherwise you are likely to miss the true charm of the place.

Yes, I can certainly recommend any tours with Fab Ceppi at Tobago Now. He really is a knowledgeable and likeable companion and he avoids large parties, so it's a nice and intimate 'private' tour rather than a bus tour.

I have had no contact with the guy who has taken over Clark Weissinger's kayaking business in Charlotteville, but I understand that he is now on the island and operational. I doubt that he will be heavily booked, so try ringing him when you are over there.

For details on the dive services, see Out & About/Activities/Diving/Tobago Dive Operators. There are lots of firms worth diving with and a couple that you might be wiser to avoid. See the listings.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kelly S

Post by Kelly S »

Thank you for your advice, I will defo take it.
Checked the dive pages here only to find that the place they were thinking about going with actually had a terrible rating from you so am very happy I saw this site beofre we went.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kelly

Rikky Knowles at Radical Sports (based at Pigeon Point) has notified me that they rent sit-on-top kayaks for TT$100 per hour for a double, or TT$80 per hour for singles. You could rent these and kayak around the mangroves in Bon Accord Lagoon and out to No Man's Land.

I'll also make sure I add this useful service to the Radical Sports entry in the main Sailing & Watersports article.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Kelly,
Steve's diving info is pretty accurate and there are some operators that are best to avoid. The diving can be challenging fast drifts and currents are not unusual and great fun once you get used to them.

The chill out advice from Steve is essential the first year we went we tried to do everything but after a week we settled into the pace of the Island and ended up much better for it.

Regards
Kevin

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”