Watersports

What to see, what to do, where to go
Nisha Williams

Watersports

Post by Nisha Williams »

Are there any facilities to rent a jet ski or Katmaran on the island, preferably close to Turtle Beach. Many thanks
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Nisha, the only place that I know of, where you can rent jetskis is at Pigeon Point. Kayaks and windsurfers are also available there. Don't know about catamarans, though.
Clyde
Rachel Crew
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Watersports

Post by Rachel Crew »

There is a watersports shop at Turtle Beach Hotel - they don't have jetskis but I believe they now have Hobie cats for rent... otherwise the only other place for those is the Windsurf centre at Pigeon Point.

Enjoy!
Rachel & Marlon Winter-Roach
CocoMotion - http://www.cocomotion.net
Nisha Williams

Post by Nisha Williams »

Thanks as always Clyde for your helpful response :D

Rachel, sorry to appear stupid but could you tell me what a hobie cat is please? :oops:
Rachel Crew
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Watersports

Post by Rachel Crew »

Nisha,

a Hobie cat is a small sailing catamaran, for one or two people... but if you were meaning a large catamaran sailing tour, you could try Island Girl or Kalina Cats (see the 'Out & About' section above).
Rachel & Marlon Winter-Roach
CocoMotion - http://www.cocomotion.net
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Nisha

I have just returned from Tobago and can report that jet skis are still available for rent at the entrance point to Pigeon Point Heritage Park.

On the day that we were there three local guys on Jet skis were hammering around at full-throttle, from the pier to the Bon Accord lagoon and making a hell of a nuisance of themselves. These are the guys who tout the skis for tourists to rent and appear to have no consideration for anyone as they dodge around bathers, wind surfers and boat users alike.

At around mid-day a local conch diver was brought back to the pier with a head injury after being hit one of these yobs.

The conch fisherman was fortunate that his injury wasn't too serious - it could have been fatal. Some time later, several local fishermen pulled up to the pier with the culprit in their boat and handed him over to the police who marched him off.

There is now a sign on the pier saying ' Powered water sports prohibited - By Order THA' and about time too.

I get the feeling that most people who go to Tobago and who subsequently return, visit because of the peace and tranquility that the island provides.

Elsewhere on the forum appear comments relating to the speed of change and the negative effects of tourism. Jet skis, to my mind, are symptomatic of all that Tobago doesn't need as a tourist attraction. If these monstrosities were ordered to be blown out of the water, I would willing pay to push the plunger on the detonator :twisted:

Sorry to vent my spleen in your thread - I'm not a grumpy old fart usually :D

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Steve,seconded,you're not a grumpy old fart,but Istill agree with you,'ang the blaggards,
David :evil:
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

David Watkins wrote:Steve,seconded,you're not a grumpy old fart,but I still agree with you,'ang the blaggards,
David :evil:
On the contary David - I am a grumpy old fart as I'm still on the big come-down after the holiday..... e.g. 'angin's too good for 'em I say !

On a more positive note - we were attending the Caribbean culinary festival on the day in question.

It was really great to see the Pigeon Point Heritage Park living up to its new identity and it was FREE to get in :D and was very well organised and attended by many local folk too. What a treat.

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”