A Whistle Stop Tour

What to see, what to do, where to go
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

A Whistle Stop Tour

Post by Carol Townsend »

Just been sorting out some carrier bags to use as bin liners(I AM trying to use less as they kill large numbers of turtles) and found a Pennysavers one with some Tobago sand in it.Aaaah!
So I've started again, and thought I'd talk about some of the places we visited.
It was quite a dilemma; we were torn between "staying local" or exploring the island. I prefer to limit the dashing around; I think the more you see, the less you remember when you get home, and I don't like spending holidays inside a car. Hubby, however, did like whizzing around in our little jeep-thing. Many of our visits were whistle- stop, so I won't review everywhere we dashed through.

Favourite places: Englishmans Bay, Castara (of course) Parlatuvier and L'Anse Fourmi. Kings Bay and Speside looked pretty.
I mention L'Anse Fourmi because, although we didn't stop there, there was a certain something about it we liked. As we went through the village, it seemed that everyone stopped and looked at us, out of good - natured curiosity. Hubby said he felt like Clint Eastwood entering a new town, but without the hostility. A child ran up to us and told us about a barbeque that was happening. It's a shame we couldn't find a reason to stop, but we wanted to get back to Castara before it got dark, as at that time hubby was not yet familiar with the roads and had not found his favourite pot holes!

Two places we did not like were Bloody Bay and Plymouth.
Bloody Bay had rather a stony beach, and at that time some building work was going on behind the beach, making the place feel like a building site. Maybe it will be better when it's all finished. There was one thing of interest; a big dead puffer fish on the beach, looking rather surprised.

We headed for Pigeon Point, parked under a manchineel tree ( OOPS! better move ) and looked at the craft stalls and souvenir shop for the relatives. Decided not to go into Pigeon Point itself, which was the right decision as the heavens opened and it rained solidly for the next 2 hours.
We got to Plymouth , at which point the rain was so heavy hubby could hardly see to drive, so we parked by the football stadium until it eased off.
Within the space of five minutes we were approached by two people trying to sell us coconuts, and when we declined, they started to beg, which made us feel uncomfortable, as you never know what to do, and you can't give to them all. I've felt very uneasy when I've been approached by beggars on the London Underground, and my neighbour has had Eastern European refugees knocking on her door to beg.
So we left Plymouth. On a more light hearted note, we saw new holiday apartments painted in what I thought was a most HIDEOUS orange, and totally out of keeping with the area. Hubby liked them however, and took a photo. At least the hot sun will soon fade the paintwork!

Parlatuvier: to this day hubby still can't pronounce it ( bless!) .Again, there was a certain charm about the atmosphere, and we met Mrs Chance in the Post Office, who helped me stick numerous stamps on numerous postcards. We bought some rum, and when we couldn't decide which to buy said "eeni meeni miney mo", which delighted her as she said that rhyme must be used all over the world!

Englishman's Bay was lovely, despite the ........s in the sand. We liked the cafe and the little craft stalls, and didn't mind paying for sun lougers.Saw a woman topless. She hadn't read about the laws in My Tobago! :shock:
Time for a rum punch ( I wish )
Cheers
'Er again :roll:
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Thanks for the 'good read' Carol. I was just sitting down with my Marmite on toast lunch and thought that I would check out the forum, (addict that I am) and there you were.

Keep up the good work!

Tony

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyandjanette
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

More and more Tobago-manic every day Carol!
Perhaps you need some extra therapy.
(Thinks "The Castara Intitution for Irecoverable Tobagomaniacs")
Might work,
David :D
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Carol,

I see the magic word in this posting - "photo." When are you going to post your photos so we may all see them? No excuses :P

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Oh yes Carol. Now you have us all entranced by your written accounts we want to see the visuals.

Tony

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyandjanette
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Oh dear :oops:
I was afraid you would ask for photos. I will have to enlist the help of my son because I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to this sort of thing.
I must also tell you that I am very disappointed with my efforts. :( I am the world's worst photographer, and for the first few days was too stunned ( no David alcohol was NOT involved ) to take any.
Hubby is much better than me. He has a new camcorder which is his new toy.He filmed everything that moved, and a few things that didn't, such as a frog on our verandah which did nothing but blink for 10 minutes.
Also, we left most of the shots of Castara to the morning we flew home, when we were all depressed, and the weather wasn't too good. There were one or two views I meant to take, and forgot :cry:
However, I'll see what I can do, but don't expect too much!
Yours in shame
Carol :roll:

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”