Ideas for 10 Days in Tobago

What to see, what to do, where to go
Alistair Milne

Ideas for 10 Days in Tobago

Post by Alistair Milne »

Hello all

I am off to Tobago for 10 days in mid-October with my girlfriend. We are looking to do some skorklling (I can never spell that!) as our main activity and just relax away from the big crowds. From reading here it would appear this is best done away from the Crown Point area.

We are going to hire a car to see as much of the island as possible and give us some flexibility due to our time constraints and comparatively short distances. I imagine we won't need a 4x4 at this time or is it always safest to have one if we are touring the island?

We have a brief plan of 3 days at Castara (one at Castara Bay, one at Englishman's Bay and one at Bloody Bay), 3 days in Charlotteville (Pirates bay x2 and Man-o-war Bay x 1 Day) followed by two days at Spyside (Bateaux Bay I imagine) and then back to Crown Point for 1.5 days.

Normally I would try and stay more in one place but the distances seem so small and the beaches so amazing that I'd like to sample a few of the best ones - I live in London so 20 minutes drive through scenic countryside v 1 hour commmute I can live with! However if anyone thinks this is wrong please let me know.

I did have a quick question - It's my girlfiend's birthday when we would be in Castara (a Saturday night) - will there be anywhere to stay out for a bit then for a few drinks, food etc?

Also I would quite like to go birdwatching or walking in the forest for one day or 1/2 day. My girldirend is not so keen on the old birds, so do you know of any birdwatching tours that also take in great sceneray and maybe say end at a Waterfall?

Lastly thanks to all for the great info on car hire, accom and well everything on here!

Al
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Alistair,hello! First is the distances may be small but the travel time isn't.Remember it is a completely different type of roads to London(UK).
Now as to your accommodation plan,I would make a base (as you intend hiring a car)and radiate from there.It is very much easier,and a lot less expensive than doing a night here and there.
Castara,imo,go for Seabreeze,which is also Alibaba's tours,car hire KCNN,and as for the Saturday night,chat to Sharon at D'Boathouse or Debbie at Treetops Cascreole.
David(seriously counting down :D )
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Alistair

Seems you already have a plan ...

My only comment about Castara is that there are a few gatherings on a Sunday night with Barbecues and music (Steel/African Drums) ... if it is a real party you are looking for go to Sunday School in Buccoo ... also check out to see if there are any festivals when you visit.

Otherwise ... not much happens on Saturdays for some reason ... but it is still enjoyable anywhere nonetheless ... something always going on ... it's people that make the parties !! :wink:

Keep searching the myTobago site ... there is stacks of information.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Mel M

Post by Mel M »

Just a suggestion for the birdwatching -
There is a lovely bird sanctuary in Grafton near Black Rock Village.
This may sound too 'organised' or zoo like and therefore not to everyone's taste, but when we went it was so quiet and peaceful and the birdsong could really be heard. We have been twice, the first time there were only about 5 other people there and the time we went this May we were totally alone.
Before we went to Tobago I really had no interest in bird-watching and my Twitcher husband drove me crazy pointing out birds too far away for me to see let alone really care about! But I really enjoyed seeing the birds close up and feeding. And most of the birds are so pretty to look at!
In addition to the birds, the setting is really beautiful with a lovely story behind it - after a hurricane in the 60s the owner of the property started to feed the birds because their own fod supply had been destroyed. When she died she left provision in her will to maintain the sanctuary.
The sanctuary is set within a large forested area where you can walk.

If this doesn't appeal - just put some fruit or sugar water on the balcony of your accommodation and sit back with a beer and watch!!
Alistair Milne

Post by Alistair Milne »

Hi David, Paul and Mel and thanks for the swift responses.

David, we are happy to spend a bit more as we'll probably not be back for quite a while so cost is not the primary issue. I'd rather get slightly worse accom and see more than have better accom and see less if that makes sense? My thinking was that we'd base ourselves somewhere for 3 days and explore and then move on somewhere else for a few days explore there and so on. Idea being that we wouldn't generally be travelling more than 15 mins or so from base. When we moved I imagined we'd leave our accom lunch time and travel for max an hour and a half to the next just base in time to get back in the sea after checking in again! I must admit I have a problem of reading up on places and wanting to go to them all! Do you think we can manage the places mentioned if we stay in one place for the duration - I was worried if we stayed in Castara the travel to and fro to Charlotteville and Speyside might be excessive?

Did you think we'd need the 4x4? I've read conflicting reports on different sites - I've read the opejn tops are not good for security but the hard tops 4x4 really needed if I try and avoid the potholes? I'm use to those in London believe me!

Thanks to you and Paul re the Sat night, I'll think we'll try Castara - don't need a party per se, but would like to not be back in our accom by 9 - small bar and good conversation would be great

Mel, thanks the bird Sanctuary sounds an ideal compromise, maybe she'll be converted like you! Seems like we can do a few walks there as well.

Thanks all

Al
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

It's really difficult to "advise" other people on how best to enjoy their holiday in Tobago. For instance your idea of moving from one place to another every 3 days would not be my ideal!
One of the things I enjoyed most about being in Tobago was just chillin'. Sitting in a comfortable chair, with a glorious view, a few cold beers, a chat (or limmin' (sp?)) every now and again and not reading much of the holiday literature I took. I found I could spend hours looking at the local wildlife and vegetation.
We stayed in Castara (twice Sept 2004 and April 2005) and traveled several times up to Charlotteville for the day, as well as other places. Lovely drive to Charlotteville. First year we hired a car, second year a jeep - didn't make any difference, no problem with either. You don't need a 4x4 for the potholes just steering! :lol:
We'd not been to the tropics before and we found that we didn't want to be rushing around every day. The other thing we found was although we are generally night owls in the UK we were definitely NOT in Tobago. We had a few late nights but generally I was ready for bed by 11pm and up by 8am for a cup of tea and feeding the birds.
As for your girlfriend's birthday I agree with David's advice "chat to Sharon at D'Boathouse or Debbie at Treetops Cascreole." and Paul's "it's people that make the parties !!" Sort out where you want to spend the evening and then spread the word around. I had my birthday there and a load of us met up in Marguerite's for dinner and then all went back to our cottage for drinks and locally made cake. It was great.
Whatever your plans I'm sure you'll enjoy it with an open mind and a relaxed frame of mind. 8)
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Hello Al
I understand your desire to see everything. We were torn between dashing around trying to fit everything in and mooching around Castara, not that there are many places around which to mooch!
Like Julia, we woke early ( mostly due to the cockerell talent show) and went to bed early. What was that old rhyme about healthy wealthy and wise?
I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to visit Bloody Bay. It might be better when youy go, but when we went it looked like a building site.Our least favourite beach.
Enjoy your stay
Carol :D

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”