Sunday School

What to see, what to do, where to go
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Sunday School

Post by Carol Townsend »

Gentle Reader,
The problem with working part - time and being alone in the house is that you are free to fritter away the time when you really should be dusting and ironing. Who cares? So, as I see we have some " newbies" on the block, I have the perfect excuse to consult my diary and have a waffle.
Sunday School at Buccoo, pronounced, not as we kept doing with a hard Southern "u" but a soft Norhern "oo".
We arrived early on a lovely balmy evening and had a mooch around. We found the batik shop and bought a wall hanging which now adorns the chimney breast in our lounge.
We then smelt food. For 100TTs each we were offered chicken or fish plus whatever else we wanted. As we had not been very adventurous up to then we asked for a bit of everything, which caused some amusement. The helpings were generous, and consisted of more things than I can remember! I particularly liked the plaintain, and the macaroni cake. There was pasta also. Not very Caribbean I would have thought but food's food! Wish I taken a photo.
The atmosphere was very relaxed and happy, and I would say there were more locals than tourists, which was great. I don't know if they were "bouncers", but there were a couple of men who were as wide as they were high, with a look of " don't mess with me man". We didn't! We wouldn't!
We had never seen a proper steel pan band before, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. So much energy! They must practice for hours.
One of the highlights of the evening was seeing some of the "characters". There was one man, not in the first flush of youth, who out -danced just about everyone else there. I think I can recognise him, or at least the back of him, from someone's photos, Tony's, I think. Is he a regular? Or part of the show?
There were two others who I doubt were vertical by the end of the evening.One was clearly on Planet Zog, and blissfully unaware of his surroundings, and the other was enjoying a drop of rum and water. At least I THINK it was water.
He was gyrating slowly around, eyes closed, a serene smile on his face, a bottle of rum in one hand, water in the other. Every now and then he would stop and pour some rum into his glass, and then add some water.
"A little bit of rum, a little bit of water. Hmmm, a little too much water, better add more rum. Gulp. Now some more water. No, still not right, more rum needed......"
We never saw any rowdiness or loutish behaviour, and I would certainly go again. We didn't stay right to the end ( I understand it finished at 4 am) so our poor teenagers had to come home with the old codgers. I
I can't believe this event takes place every week. What a happy lot they are!
Oops! Got to leave for work in 10 minutes.
Bye
Carol
:D
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Carol,

looks like you really enjoyed Sunday Schoooool :wink:
When I go there I normally meet all friends I ever made in Tobago. Most of the locals go there and some of them go every week. At least once in a two weeks holiday I go there because I really like the athmosphere. Never saw any trouble. Maybe I was just lucky but was always with (local) friends and never had any problems.

Sunday School is a must on your first visit and you did it right! :D

Cheers
Gisela
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Carol,here I was thinking you were such a gentle caring lady----and then to find you go out to such places as Sunday School!Hmmph
David :shock:
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

This is one thing we are DEFINITELY going to do...we don't normally stay up late so we've even thought about having a little snooze earlier so we can stay up beyond midnight at least!!!

Is there a reliable taxi service that we can use?
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Patrick,it is all about where you are staying.Out in the country you may need a group to make the trip worth while.In the low lands 'train a driver',
BUT whatever you do don't pay for the car 'til you get home(and I mean the trip to and back)
Do enjoy Bucco and don't take anything flash---NOT the Bagonians,but certain people from nearby Islands and countries may take a liking!!!!
David
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks David. We're staying in Mount Irvine area so quite close by, I think. I'll find a suitable driver for the event then...thanks for the tips about paying and notheng flash...not that I own anything flash anyway! :D 8)
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Carol,

"Dusting and ironing." Could you please translate this to "American" english? :lol:

This is the fellow who was the dancer http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/vie ... yPoint_014
He told us that he was seventy-five. We watched for about an hour and he never stopped or even breathed hard - amazing.

We ate at the food booth owned by the "Virgin" http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/vie ... yPoint_015
She was an absolute riot constantly singing out that she was a virgin and cracking all kinds of double entendre jokes. She was also a ball of energy and never seemed to stand still. When one of the photos I took of her was blurred I figured it showed her spirit and elan perfectly.

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Good evening everyone,
I can't believe how many people read my ramblings; 112 already.(Well "viewed" anyway!)
To David, do I sense disapproval in your tone? I can't think why. Our friend Cheno suggested we go, and I'm sure the regulars there are as sober and respectable as your good self. I can assure you I am a gentle and caring lady, just ask my mum. I'm in bed with my hot chocolate at 10.30 every night, except perhaps when I'm on holiday.
To Bill,
Yes I'm sure that was the man we saw. He had more energy than someone half his age. Hope I'm like him one day! We didn't see the "Virgin" though.
Now, " American" English eh? Let me see, " color" for "colour","pants"for trousers," sidewalk" for pavement, "cell phone" for mobile, 'erbs for herbs. How am I doing? :wink:
"Dusting"; you take a cloth (a "duster") and wipe it over shelves etc in a futile attempt to remove the dust(90% human skin cells I believe) which settles somewhere else five minutes later.
"Ironing"; you get a small table-like thing ("ironing board") out of the cupboard (do you say closet?) and place a freshly laundered item of clothing like a shirt, upon it. You then take your "iron",(an electrically powered flat tool which you have to heat) and slide it along the shirt, applying gentle pressure, and taking care not to burn it. You then give the shirt to your son or other male family member, and he throws it onto his bedroom floor. You then shout at him and tell him to iron his own shirts in future.
That is today's lesson. I will be asking questions later.
You may like to know that my ironing board has a cover on it with ( don't tell David) :-$ a picture of a man wearing only a towel. When you use the hot iron the towel vanishes. The cover was a 50th birthday present from my MOTHER IN LAW :shock:
So there you have it.
Thank you and goodnight,
Carol (I hate housework or "chores") Townsend
:twisted:
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

carol, you are great. I had a good laugh about this post....
unfortunately the big alibaba would not let me have a naked man ironing board... good thing I don't iron at all! I just hate it... rather sit here at the PC and see what funny and interesting post Carol put on today :wink:
enjoy your cocoa!

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Would you believe, my wife actually enjoys ironing. :shock: When we were first married (before the days of "Perma Press") she would spend hours at it. I finally got her to stop pressing my handkerchiefs by convincing her no one would see them until I removed them from my pocket to either blow my nose or mop my brow.

My wife put a freshly ironed pile of our teenage sons clothing in a laundry basket in his room. The following week the basket was back in the laundry room with his dirty clothes on top and all the clean laundry still on the bottom. For a while I thought we were going to have one less son in the family #-o

Bill

P.S. I see another thread has taken the dive off the deep end \:D/
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
Gary

Post by Gary »

Bill B wrote: P.S. I see another thread has taken the dive off the deep end \:D/
And well worth the dive . . . . . . . Brilliant reading, cheer's :lol:
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Carol,when does your column start in the Telegraph?Sales would soar :wink:
David :D (10weeks to go :D )
Carol Townsend
Queen of Waffle
Queen of Waffle

Post by Carol Townsend »

Thanks David! :oops:
Do you know, when I was at school back in the last century BIT ( Before Information Technology) my English teacher suggested I go into journalism, but it never happened. I left school at 17 and went into the Civil Service of all things. :shock:
If I may go back to ironing boards for a moment, my father-in- law is an expert ironer from his army days, and his ironing board has a cover on it (bought by my mother-in -law at the same time as mine, I would guess) with a picture of JORDAN on it. Now I would guess and sincerely hope that our American friend Bill has never heard of her, but I'll leave it to one of you men to explain; I can't bear it! I'll just say I hope she never discovers Tobago.
Cheers
Carol :D
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Bill,before you ask the question .......don't!It is NOT a basketball player,
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Mind you,she has made a lot for she's got!
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Gary,

Relatively speaking this dive is only about a 5.2 with a difficulty factor of 2.3. If you read enough of the old postings you'll see that some of the dives have been rated as high as a 5.9 with a difficulty factor of 4.3.

Now that Carol has joined our ranks with her prolific postings we are confident that we will soon be able to achieve a perfect 6.0 with the maximum difficulty of 4.5.

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Carol,

Did you think that I didn't know how to Google?

http://www.celebrityspider.com/katieprice.html

I'll see your "Jordan" and raise you one "Paris Hilton"

Bill

P.S. This is number 200 - we'll see if I am still "Oh, so sad !" :cry: or if I become something else :roll:
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

200 posts

Post by Gill O »

Hi Bill,

You seem to be stuck on 200 posts. Your last few posts all have 200 against them. Perhaps somebody wants you stuck at "oh so sad" :)
Gill
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gill

The posts: counter shows the current total posts made by the user - its not the sequential number of a particular post. So, every post by Bill will show 200 at the moment - just as they will all show 201 when he next makes a post.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for explaining that. I'm not very well up on this computer lark :oops:

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”