Dolphins.

What to see, what to do, where to go
Dave Minter

Dolphins.

Post by Dave Minter »

We were staying at Turtle Beach for the last two weeks in May (03). Would have loved to have seen some Dolphins but there were none around.

For those of you lucky souls on the island in the near future we spoke to Peter Abraham of 'CoCo - Motion' yesterday. He has found a shoal (if thats the right word) of about 50 of them. If you want to go Dolphin watching then give Peter or Mona a ring at CoCo - Motion. Would suggest if you are staying at Turtle Beach then have a word with 'Stompy the Tuna Man' and see if he can help you in your quest.

For us on our two weeks, the sight of some Dolphins would have made a wonderful time even better (if that's possible)

Enjoy!!!
Gerri

Turtles

Post by Gerri »

When is the turtle watching season
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

The turtle season is generally between April and July.

A word of caution, if I may. Stick to reputable, established, guides. Any guide worth his salt does not need to tout for business on the beach. I have heard some very alarming stories about a certain guide mentioned in this topic and the thought of anyone going out to sea with him fills me with horror.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Charlie Atkinson

Dolphins

Post by Charlie Atkinson »

Just back from Tobago. We saw dolphins on our trip with Stumpy (Tuna Man) who we found charming, despite Steve's warning (although of course we haven't heard his stories). Other guides promised us sightings but came to nothing.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Two years back, the folks in the room next door to us went on a tour with that guy. They had a good trip, but when they got back he demanded payment in US dollars after quoting same in TT. He’s a big guy and became very loud and intimidating, so they paid up. The hotel said it was a public beach so they couldn’t do anything about it. Got the impression it was a common occurrence, particularly with North Americans.
Charlie Atkinson

Post by Charlie Atkinson »

That's interesting as our experience couldn't have been further from that. We went out for a day with Stumpy (us two and two kids) and he charged us US$140 for the boat for the day. That included beer, rum and drinks for the kids. We went to the Nylon Pool, Coral Gardens and No Mans Land. On the way to the reef, my husband caught a 10 pound barracuda and Stumpy barbecued this for as at No Mans Land. It was one of the highlights of our holiday. He brought along his four kids and we had a wonderful time - his two youngest entertained our two particularly in the Nylon Pool. He also had this massive speaker on board and his eldest kid Franklyn :? sorted out the music. On the way back they turned up the volume and we had a party back to the hotel. Caused a stir back at Turtle Beach with the sounds of Bob Marley but nothing more sinister than that.

When I first booked the trip I knew nothing about him - we were just convinced by his manner. But before we handed over the US$50 deposit I checked him out with Mary and one of the carvers on the beach.

Based on our good experience we went again with Stumpy to the Trinidad-Tobago powerboat race on Saturday morning - and once again he and his kids were charming.

However, he is a big man and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him. That said, we felt very safe.

I would be interested to hear if anybody else has had a bad experience.
Anthony P

Post by Anthony P »

Yes, he has the charm of the Irish! That’s how he survives. All those tourists on Turtle beach are lambs to the slaughter. No doubt the vast majority are happy with his service. It’s the odd few that he “tries it on” with that are the worry.

The organisers of the Angostura Yachting World Regatta were forced to ban him from crewing for us yachties because of his drunken behaviour. The man can be a total hooligan and his disregard for safety is well known. I would swim rather than go more than a few metres from shore with him.

A final point. Siting dolphins has little to do with skill, or even experience. It’s simply a matter of luck.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Dolphins

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi All

Sorry to be a smart arse, but I think that the correct term for a group of dolphins is a 'pod'.
A word of caution; If there are 50 or so individuals making up this group, it might be prudent not to attempt to join them in the water for a swim.

I know that this is everyone's tropical Island fantasy (apart from making out on the beach) but wild dophins can be dangerous.

Adolecent males can get quite 'frisky', mature males can get aggresively territorial and females with young can get protective.
Sadly, they don't all conform the the cuddly image of 'flipper'.

A randy or aggresive dolphin or three rounds with stumpy?

I could run away from stumpy, but I couldn't out-swim a dolphin, intent on LURVE.

Steve P.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Turtles and Dolphins

Post by Steve Pitts »

Dear Geri

Please note that my comments on swimming with wild dolphins do not apply to breeding/laying turtles.

I haven't heard of anyone being molested by a frustrated leatherback, or savaged by an angry Ridley's.

On a more serious note, please see previous postings on turtle watching.

Cheers

Steve

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”