Beach at Dead Bay - Anybobody know much about it?

What to see, what to do, where to go
Dave Park

Beach at Dead Bay - Anybobody know much about it?

Post by Dave Park »

Debby and I tried to hike down to it on the dirt track starting at the Chapel just above Bloody Bay. We managed to get by the mud/rock slide and to the old rusting steel bridge across the river, but the river rocks were too slippery and there was too much water cascading over the rocks to chance hiking down to the beach. Quite frankly were not properly outfitted for that kind of descent. The beach looks terrific. Is there an easier hike down? If so where is it? And is the beach as nice as it looks from above?
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Beach at Dead Bay - Anybobody know much about it?

Post by Paul Tallet »

This seems a challenging question ... to date, 61 views and no response and I have to admit that I am a little stumped.

If you are referring to Dead Bay, are you referring to a Bay that can be seen from Bloody Bay to the West?

I recall from several years ago a guide explaining that this was Dead Bay and that access was quite easy if you were prepared to take a hike (or go by boat) ... I am sensing that heavy rains could have hampered your attempt?

I am not aware of any other smaller Bays around Bloody Bay ... but I am intrigued and up for some education :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Dave Park

Post by Dave Park »

Hi Paul,

You are correct. What I call Dead Bay is to the west of Bloody Bay, toward Parlatouvier. The only reasonably good view from Bloody Bay of the Dead Bay beach is from the point of the hairpin bend in the road leaving Bloody Bay, high above the water, as you drive toward L'Anse Formi.

A nice fellow by the name of Reginald, who, I believe lives in Bloody Bay, gave us the hiking directions. They were excellent directions. The track began at the Chapel just as he said. He knew about the mud slide, although he did not tell us about the old bridge; but the time he told us it would take to reach the river was quite accurate. Perhaps if the river had been dry we could have made it down the river without serious hiking gear, but still the descent would be fairly steep and the rocks are not small. Maybe there was a trail at the bridge, beside the river; but if there was, we didn't find it, and it did not look like anyone had hiked down to that bridge anytime recently.

By the way, the rusty old vine covered bridge looks like something out of "the Temple of Doom". The floorboards have long since rotted away. It is covered in vines and rust. My guess is this was the old coastal road maybe 50 to 100 years ago.

About half way to the bridge, you get a pretty good view of the beach from almost directly above it, but you cannot see back to the tree line to see what kind of shelter there might be. Of couse at that point, you could just jump into the bush a la "Romancing the Stone" and if you survived the descent, you would likely land on the beach. How to get back up would be another matter.

By the way, we took our hike in April this year, so I was not expecting as much water as we encountered. However we did experience much more rain this April than we did on our two previous April vacations in Tobago. And it was the next to last day of our stay.

We are always on the lookout for a good beach alternative to Englishman's and Pirate's Bays. We love them but are always looking for others. We found the beach at the Hermitage in April. The hike was easy but the beach was more disappointing than King Peter's due to the litter, derelict fishing boats, fishermans waste, etc.

That's probably why we were so disappointed when we could not get down to the Dead Bay beach. It looks pristene, unspoiled and totally private.

Thanks for your interest. Hope you can help.

Dave Park
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

OK ... I am flying out there tomorrow for a couple of weeks so I will try to have another look.

I have also been around Hermitage Bay and until the new road was built it was a very remote area and the fishermen always left alot of their belonginds on the beach. The new road makes it easier for picnickers to accesss the beach.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

Have a good time Paul, sadly we will miss you as we go on 29th so leave me a cold one in the Kingfish fridge.
Regards
Paul
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

What a shame Paul, I was wondering if you would be here.

I will see to it that a cold one is ready for your arrival.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Dave

I did have a look ... found the (greenish) chapel quite a way up the hill but no sign of a track.

I see what you mean about the rain, there is a huge landslide further down the road to Bloody Bay that they are trying to clear.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Dave Park

Post by Dave Park »

Hi Paul,

Have been away on business for the past week, so didn't see your post till this moring. The track is perhaps 50 yards to the left of the chapel and drops down rapidly and then to the left out of sight as it bends around the hillside. Last year, if it had been fairly dry, I believe I could have driven a four wheel drive vehicle safely down the track a good way. As it was, it was not that dry and we had only a front wheel drive Nissan. Also the local farmers were grazing several head of cattle on the track.

From some surfing on the net I found some information that indicates you can get to the beach another way - via the Erasmus Cottages. When Debby and I go to Tobago next time, which I hope will be in April, I plan to stop there and ask the owner about it.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Park
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I think I know where you mean now Dave ... I hovered by that area for a while.

Oh well ... let's see who's first next time.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Victor St.

Post by Victor St. »

You are so right!
There is an easier way to Dead Bay via Erasmus-Grove-Cottages. But you have to come from Parlatuvier,going up Bambu Hill from the Jetty Street.(The same road joins back to the main road to bloody bay)In a sharp right turn of the road at 3/4 of the hill is a dirth road keeeping left on the coast.The same road what should bring you to the Bloody Bay entrance at the round church , if the bridge was passable.
The road is nice to walk,you can drive with a Jeep , pick up or bike. Passing the entrance to Erasmus C. you will see a track going down by a big Mango tree.The path is well maintained from 2 fellows working at the Cottages.
The waves are very big and havy,so boats hardly can go there.Be Careful!
When you at the beach,you will make out a track going up just across the river,this one will bring you to the Bloody Bay side by the wash.
When nestingseason for turtles and iguanas starts this beach can use a lot more campers to protect those from being slaughtered.But that is a different topic.
Enjoy Dead Bay and don`t forget your garbage.
Victor
Rachel Crew
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Rachel Crew »

Just to add to Victor's directions, the track is about 2km long from the Parlatuvier road to Erasmus Cove cottages and you WILL need a 4 x 4 if there's been any rain at all. You will only be able to drive to just beyond the cottages, where the road is now impassable and the path begins on the left down to the cove itself. The path is pretty steep in places and again, tricky if at all muddy, so be prepared. However once in the bay you will have a wonderful small piece of the island all to yourself and the cool waters of the river to mop your brow with after the climb down :wink:
Rachel & Marlon Winter-Roach
CocoMotion - http://www.cocomotion.net
Dave Park

Post by Dave Park »

Hey Victor and Rachel,

I can't thank you enough. So that's why Debby and I couldn't get there. We were on the wrong side of the bridge. I'm excited. The beach sounds great.

Is there much shade?

Thanks for your caution about the potential roughness of the water.

After our experience at the beach by the Hermitage you can be sure we will leave the beach pristene.

Now I can't wait to get back to Tobago. I wish we were going tomorrow.

Thanks again to you both.

Dave Park :D
Dave Park

Post by Dave Park »

:D What a beautiful beach! Debby and I found our way to the beach this year thanks to Victor and Rachel and Cindy and Fred from Coasting. Since I love to body surf, all I can say is WOW. The surf is at least twice the size of the surf at Bloody Bay. Plus the bottom is pure sand. So when you do get rolled under by one of the biggies, which I did, you come up simply sanded instead of bloody. We always went at low tide so I could get nice long violent rides. The water is full of sand because of the ferocious surf, so use ear plugs. I didn't bring mine and was still digging sand out of my ears for a week after we got home.

At high tide there would be virtually no beach and I expect the undertow would be quite heavy. Debby floats like a cork but is not a strong swimmer so only got her toes wet. This is not a bathing beach for children or anyone who is not a strong swimmer. But the sand is soft, there is some shade and the little steam that splits the beach in half is delightfully cool.

We tried both trails to the beach. The Bloody Bay trail is longer and involves a short but very demanding climb/descent I would not even attempt, if wet. The climb/descent from the Parlatuvier side trail is twice the height but less demanding although not easy by any means. Appropriate footwear is definitely in order.

The beach is totally pristene and we were happy to leave it that way. We will definitely return.

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”