Wildlife photography

What to see, what to do, where to go
Kasper N
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Wildlife photography

Post by Kasper N »

I'm planning on taking a lot of pictures of the wildlife on Tobago. I figure the rainforest is the obvious place to do that, but is there any place better than the other?.....and do you have to be lucky to see any wildlife there at all?

I guess the botanical gardens would be a good place to shoot some pictures of butterflies and maybe hummingbirds?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Wildlife photography

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kasper

The rainforest is a great place to visit, but not a great place for photography - it's too dense and dark. Still, at least nany shots you get are truly authentic. The only wildlife you will see there are birds - but only if you go with a good, experienced birdwatching guide or are an experienced birder yourself. Until you get your 'eye in', you could walk through without seeing a thing; do it with a trained guide and the same route will/can suddenly come alive.

Hummingbirds are common throughout Tobago, but only in areas where there is lots of nectar. Some of the larger hummers live in the rainforest, but the majority live on the edge - particularly around habitation where there are more flowers, etc. The best place to see and photograph them is the Adventure Farm at Arnos Vale. See Out & About > Sightseeing (or http://www.mytobago.info/sightseeing02.php ) for more info.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”