Guest Report

4-bedroom villa at Arnos Vale (listing)
Nikki Chaman

Guest Report

Post by Nikki Chaman »

All of us were taken with the breathtaking entrance upon our arrival at Kapinjala. The house was simple but very tasteful, warm and comfortable and the terrace and view were all a 'wow'.
We loved the openess of the house giving onto the two level terrace and the infinity edge pool that made the Tobago hillside of virgin bush and the picture perfect bay of Arnos Vale, even more stunning! The terraces were where we spent the majority of our week, lounging, swimming, liming in the outdoor lounge and eating at the Al Fresco heavy teak dining table. There was a constant breeze keeping us absolutely comfortable at all times.
The bedrooms were all fresh, light, open and again simple in their decor. I personally much prefer less than more as someone elses clutter and trinkets may not be compatible with ones own taste. Linens, sheets and pillows were a lovely quality and going to bed was a pleasure. We did end up using the AC in the bedrooms as the mosquitos were a bit hungry after nightfall.
We used the track down to the beach every day and loved the little trail through nature to get there. Arnos Vale bay and beach were perfect the week we stayed and the water calm enough to snorkle without fear of currents. The coral was truly spectacular, like nothing I have ever seen before.
But the house was the true star and we really didn't want to leave as it was just too comfortable to encourage us to venture out!
There was a drawback...coming from Europe or America where we do not live with burglar proofing, the locking up of the house when we did want to go out or before going to sleep was labour intensive. I am very aware of the problems in trinidad and Tobago as I have been coming for 27 years and so do appreciate the security provided at Kapinjala. However, I feel the system of gates is difficult, heavy and fingers easily pinched in the mechanism. We stopped opening the bedroom balcony doors after the 2nd day but since we lived on the terrace that was OK.
I wasn't too comfortable with the house keeper and other maintenance crew who came and went randomly. We didn't think it necessary to wash all the towells everyday and said so to save water. We also did not like our personal toiletries and bags being moved, tidied or zipped closed...it felt as though things were being looked at a little more than should have been. I believe these uneasy feelings are all generated by the need for such heavy security and so one becomes suspicious of everyone that comes into or around the house.
But these are small cons against a multitude of pros and the pros were genuinely fabulous, quality, luxury.
We had a spectacular week and Kapinjala created a memory for us that we will NEVER forget.
Thank you to the owners for creating this jewell.

Return to “Kapinjala”