A few questions!!

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Ian Newell

A few questions!!

Post by Ian Newell »

Hiya peeps, Lyn and I are booked in for the 5th March and was very excited.

However reading some of the posters on here, that's a bit flat now!

A few questions please.

What's the snorkelling like around the hotel, any good?

Also, I'm thinking of bringing a rod over and doing a bit of spinning, anybody done this with any results.

Reading some of the comments on here, it seems as we are going to a hotel which is a mixture of Stalag 12 and Fawlty Towers. :wink:
Stephen Turner

Post by Stephen Turner »

Ian, ignore the complainers. It seems to me that some people are just determined to find fault. If you smile at the staff and ask how they're doing, you will find them very friendly.

When I was there, it was a bit too windy for good snorkelling (the water was too cloudy) but I got the impression that the snorkelling at the hotel is OK. The fish like to hang around the breakwater, especially on the outside of it.
Sue-S

Coco Reef

Post by Sue-S »

To anyone who is worried or concerned about the Coco Reef , please dont be, you will love it.
All the staff were absolutely lovely, so friendly and helpful. When we were there in December we heard a few complainers moaning about the beautiful birds landing near their breakfast tables in the morning, and scowling through their cornflakes if they had to wait a minute for the coffee cup to be re filled. These sort of people never take the time to enjoy the fantastic views or to pass the time of day with a smile.
If you treat people how you would expect to be treated you wont have a problem. Happy holidays :) :)
Ian Newell

Post by Ian Newell »

Thanks for the reassurance. We were in Barbados in 2003 and I witnessed the same.

The hotel we stayed at (Escape at St James) had people that even complained about the birds coming onto the open resturant front.

What is it with some people!

As you have said, I have found if you treat people right, they will do the same. Take a pompous "I am the customer" stance, and it can work against you.

Still like to know some more about the angling though, went to the Maldive in March 2004 and I'm still suffering from frustration at not being able to fish.
Nick Robinson

Post by Nick Robinson »

I am at the Coco Reef in Feb for the first time. I intend to post a bit of a review of the place here on my return because I too have read the same reviews.
Despite all I read I really cannot wait to get there.
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

The Coco Reef is superb. I have been twice and my parents are going back for their 15 visit in May.

The staff are wonderful, really wonderful.

I am sooooo jealous of all you lucky people going to such a lovely place.

When you are their look out for Camille, Warren, Preston, Kurtan and Liz, they are all really great people who I shared more than a laugh or two with.

Enjoy youselves! as I know you will.

Kirsten

If anybody wants to see some very amateur piccies send me a PM and I will forward them to you.
Kayla Aspinall

Post by Kayla Aspinall »

Ian,

We were in the Maldives Oct 03 and like you my husband was gutted at not being able to fish, he even took reels with him. Bet everyone was laughing at him! He would solemnly look over the edge of the jetty and say it's like taking a kid to a sweetie shop and not let him buy, pure torture.

We will be in Tobago in June and hubby is determined to fish, fish and more fish. Please let us know of good places to go. We are staying at The Toucan Inn. Not sure if fishing will be any good around that area.

Hope you catch loads!

Kayla
June Reid

Feeling Flat

Post by June Reid »

We have booked for the 7th March 2005 for our Honeymoon and after readind the reviews we are feeling a bit flat. We had originally booked for the Maldives but unfortunately our island was washed away so the next alternative was Coco Reef. We did not want to have to get up at 6 a.m. to put our towels down on sunloungers and personally I feel for the standard of the hotel and the cost, guest should not have to do this. There should be enough to go round plus sun shades. I will go with an open mind and hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.
Stephen Turner

Post by Stephen Turner »

I was there in Nov/Dec and there were plenty of chairs for everyone all through the day.
Mike Davey

Staff

Post by Mike Davey »

The staff in general are not friendly , they are inexperienced and overtrained . Somebody on another forum called in 'Butlins with sun' and thats about right , cancel and go to Blue Waters on Antigua where you will see what friendly staff (and proffessional) are all about
Alison Meyers

Post by Alison Meyers »

Mike, From what I can gather you didn't enjoy your holiday and seem to revel in making sure anyone else who may possibly visit the coco reef doesn't. From the plentiful positive reviews on coco reef it seems that you are in the minority, I hope you have a better holiday next time, but please let us make our own decisions on the hotels we have all spent lots of time researching. I realise that the aim of this site is so that everyone can have their say, but posting over and over about the terrible time you had is not helpful. Get over it and start looking forward to your next one.

Ali
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

Het come on guys, a hotel is where you sleep the night in-between all the other things that you do.

Don't think of it as the main part of your visit, and anyway, I'm sure that it will be fine as long as your expectations are not too high.

You will have a great time I am sure. Visit Tobago, not a hotel.

Steve F. 8)
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

Well, said, Steve!
I was just thinking that myself, as I was reading through reviews on Tripadvisor. Almost every hotel in Tobago has been ripped apart lately.
There are a lot of cranky, complaining people out there! I don't think there's one perfect hotel on Tobago -- I'd like to combine qualities of several.
But you go to Tobago to experience Tobago, not the hotel, as you said. If you expect to stay at your resort and not leave the grounds, you probably will be disappointed. Many of the complainers seem to be on all-inclusive, so maybe that's the problem? Some seem not to have read anything at all about Tobago before booking a trip, and they don't know about the Caribbean pace of service.
I'm leaving soon for another repeat trip to Tobago. I've got a car rented and dinner reservations for Valentine's Day away from the hotel. We're planning a catamaran excursion. I want to try a few new places for lunch. I want to find that cigar shop and bring back some smokes for a friend. Etc.
You need to get out and about, in my opinion.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Each to their own, I'd say.

It is true that alot of people go to the major resorts and expect some kind of protocol/luxury ... that's fine but there are many other resorts in other parts of the Caribbean that operate at higher service levels ... go there.

This is not to suggest that Tobago's resorts do not stack up ... I enjoyed my time at the Rex ... many would be well impressed with the standards of accomodation.

I guess it is all about past experiences and what you come to expect.

Tobago is more than this and for as long as the THA restricts the development of larger establishments all the better.

Visitors should open their eyes and look at Tobago for what it is .... not an alternative to Barbados with a discount.

Think about it ...

Cheers
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Mike Davey

Post by Mike Davey »

I have to say people do amuse me , if you dare to have a different opinion they get irritated , there appear to be alot of people our there with the same opinion as me , and for the record we had a very good holoday , food was very good BUT the hotel is not was it should be and not what is advertises itself to be , I will continue to post
J.ellison

Post by J.ellison »

I agree with Mike.
A forum is surely a place for public discussion where all views are represented. Not slanted to suit some jingoistic end result such as - " I am on holiday therefore I must enjoy myself no matter what provocation!"
When you pay £5,000 GBP each for a 2 week holiday, you must be entitled to a certain level of service. During our stay (27/12 to 10/1) the points detailed previous were tottaly unacceptable. CCR markets itself as a 4* or 4* + which is why people like myself are attracted to it. The realisation was a big let-down. 3* is more likely.

Of course, people are capable of making their own mind up about what they deem is important for their holiday. And one mans meat...... etc

My report on the 19th of January was a true representation of my parties' experience and, in all of our opinions, it was not a good one. At the time, there was alot of dissatisfaction and I invite any of the many fellow inmates to write in with their experiences.
Also, please consider Quality Control. Without any feed back (negative or positive), how can improvements take place?

I suppose holiday are a lot to do with expectation and when that expectation is not realised, then disappointment sets in.
Sue Widnall

Post by Sue Widnall »

Just putting my opinion as we returned from our 2nd visit to Coco Reef last weekend. To those who are about to go - enjoy it, you will have a lovely time. The staff were wonderful, the weeather shone every day, food was excellent and snorkeling good. We did go all inclusive both times and loved it all. First time we took our teenage children so explored a lot, rainforest, Gemmas, Sunday School, catamaran etc This last time we went as a couple for a weeks chill out - so you can have whatever type of holiday you want! Some people went fishing every day - dont know what the catch was like. The beach towels was a nuisance again, but to be fair to the hotel, they are trying to ease this by bringing large portable white canvas umberellas onto the beach early on.
We were anxious before we went due to the negative reports and wondered what would await us. We were warmly welcomed back and cant wait to go again! I cant see how anybody cannot enjoy such a beautiful place and with such charming staff and, believe me, I am quick to criticise when there is a need. Go with a positive attitude and have a great holiday. 8)
Ian Newell

Post by Ian Newell »

Thanks for that Sue, it's good to see that someone had a good time. :wink:

You mentioned about some people going fishing every day, is that local fishing or the big game stuff?

I'm off in 8 days, so I like to know whether I can dangle my rod.
Sue Widnall

fishing

Post by Sue Widnall »

Sorry Ian, I think you might have gone to Tobago by the time you have read this. Hope you managed to fish. I didnt know what type of fishing it was - I know it wasnt expensive and it was from a boat that came into the inlet every day to collect him. Hope you had a good time anyway!
Sue Widnall

Fishing

Post by Sue Widnall »

Sorry Ian - meant to say that I thought it was quite expensive- 50 US an hour.

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”