Guest Report

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Marcus Singh

Guest Report

Post by Marcus Singh »

It is with due shame i write this review. I recently spent a weekend at the so called 5 star hotel with a my girlfriend and another couple. While the hotel was nice and the view exceptional, the service from some of the staff was beyond disappointing, especially after reading some of the reviews from other people on this site. I must say, this presents itself as racist, however the truth be told, "if yuh nuh white, u is nobody". It seemed to me that the only people who were warmly welcomed, especially in Tamara's restaurant, were white. This goes to say without a doubt, locals are not appreciated, are we not spending our money as well ?. One specific person to note is the woman who makes the eggs in the morning. She blatantly shows an attitude to me and my friends, she doesn't even ask for your plate, just grabs it, and hands it back to you. One morning when i went for eggs, she just ask me with rolling eyes and a terrible attitude "what", i said "excuse me", she said "what yuh want". As normal i just go with the flow and she made my eggs, dropped it in my plate and i said thanks, nothing came from her mouth. Also when we went for breakfast, we waited to be seated, no-one came, and we decided to take a seat on out own, a woman came up to us and said we cannot sit here that we had to wait, only to be re located to the same seat. I cannot even say that it was a racist thing, as my girlfriend and i are Indian, and we went with a black couple, and they pointed out that the service is terrible. I guess its just a situation where our own people prefer to treat foreigners, to be specific, white foreigners better !!...Truly a shame for a place that has so much more potential !!!.
Anessa DM
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Re: Guest Report

Post by Anessa DM »

This is strange - I stayed at Coco Reef in December 2010 with my family. I'm local, definitely not white, and we didn't have any of the problems that you described. I've seen reports of similar nature before our visit by locals who had the same complaints but we decided to risk it and see for ourselves. We got great treatment and I really couldn't see any bias between the staff's attitude towards ourselves and foreigners.
The breakfast staff were polite and friendly, with the egg lady remembering my son's preferences from the first day without us even having to prompt her. In fact, one of the staff at breakfast actually sat and had a 10 minute conversation with my 3 year old son so we could finish our breakfast peacefuly.
Maybe the staff changed in the past year? I did notice they put an ad in the local newspapers for new staff some time recently - maybe other people have complained also, I don't know. But I'm going back in April, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I really hope we don't have an experience like yours

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”