Guest Report

4 studio apartments in Castara (listing)
Ivan Harrup

Guest Report

Post by Ivan Harrup »

There are 4 apartments set about 60m from and 25m above the beach at Little Bay. It is managed by Sharon from the restaurant on the beach. She is very informative and helpful. The units have several attractive features. These are : 1. A balcony view across the two bays that is breathtakingly stunning 2. Bird-life that is varied, colourful and plentiful ( we put out bread crumb in sugar water in the morning and banana pieces for the fruit bats in the evening) 3. Unit size is large (think 60-75% bigger than your typical hotel chain room) and very well equipped for self-catering (you are as close to the freshest of fish as you are ever likely to be) 4. The balconies are very large but there are differences. Units 1 & 2 have privacy screens and three large almond trees in front that provide some afternoon shade and lots of birds; 3&4 have an open balcony which would not have suited us but might be more suitable for a family group. The shade aspect would be improved by having roller blinds 5. The kitchen area is a bit rustic but has all the equipment you are likely to need including a fridge-freezer for ice, bread from the Clay Oven and ice-cream. If you intend to self-cater you will need a car as the nearest thing to a shop (in the UK sense – the village shops are woefully under stocked in most things) is 8 miles away between Moriah and Mason Hall. 6. The beach is just amazing and rarely has more than 8 people on it. I do not agree with the MyTobago description as it being overcrowded – it has fewer people on it than any tropical beach I can recall. It also has less surf than the big bay. Unfortunately it was never flat enough to snorkel over the reef. 7. Sharon’s restaurant is the only action in Little Bay and is the only place we found in both Bays that would cook as you wanted it ( as distinct from an often tasty but fundamentally similar Creole platters everywhere else – but tell Sharon you intend to eat as she will have closed the restaurant if no-one has booked). Overall an easy place to chill but there are some things that might have enhanced the experience – a. Hot water – local view seems to be that by lunchtime cold water will be at 30c so why bother. I don’t agree. I need hot water in the morning to shower, shave and do the washing-up b. the lighting of the slope pathways is insufficient and dangerous c. There is no A/C and as far as I can see the building is ill-suited to having it installed. It was not a huge problem for us but if you are coming here adjust your expectations accordingly d. I would have liked sun beds on the balconies ( and on the beach) e. Beach sand flies are a real menace and should be eradicated. e. The village has no night life so a TV with perhaps BBC World and CNN would help.

Return to “Boatview”