My Review

108 room 3*+ All-Inclusive resort at Stone Haven Bay (listing)
Jennifer Muscat

My Review

Post by Jennifer Muscat »

This is a true report on Grafton Beach Resort. My husband, baby and I stayed at the resort 3 November 2005 to 17 November 2005. Booked through Virgin Holidays online, our complaint letter is on its way to them.
We went on this holiday with an open mind after reading the reports on this site, I also posted a note to which Steve Wooler responded, thank you.

Hotel
Arrival
On our arrival to the hotel we had to complete the normal form filling procedures only to be advised that our room was not ready. We explained that we really needed to get to our room, as we had to get some essentials for the baby, but were once again advised that we would have to wait. We eventually got our room after waiting for over 1.5 hours. This is unacceptable.

Tiles
We booked this hotel as your web site and brochure describes it as a family hotel, however we did not find this was the case whilst staying for 14 nights. Firstly the hotel was tiled through out, including the rooms, we understand that this is normally the case, but usually non-slip tiles are laid. When the main feature of the hotel is the swimming pool and the rooms and reception area surround it they will obviously get wet, unfortunately when these tiles became wet, they were extremely dangerous, and we were unable to let our baby walk in case she slipped and hurt herself. We only realised this as on the day of our arrival our baby slipped and fell, banging her head on the hard floor. Also during our stay one other guest fell and broke her arm and had to return home to the UK early. Apart from swimming and playing on the beach our child had to stay in her pram, which was very difficult as you can imagine with a 14 month old. Again this is unacceptable.

Hygiene
In the 14 days we stayed at the hotel, the pool was never cleaned once, and the bins, which surrounded the pool, were never emptied. I can vouch for this as I put nappies in the bins daily before and after my baby swam, the bin was over flowing and smelt pungent by the time we left. The reception toilets were in a disgusting state, apart from being filthy, the toilet doors did not shut or lock properly. The toilets at the beach bar were a no go area, with hackers from the beach freely using the facilities, although they were not buying food or drink. The beach bar was also dirty, and when there were rainstorms and vegetation fell from the trees this was just left lying for people to climb over. The gardens were not maintained and there were cats everywhere who were so hungry that you couldn’t eat anywhere around the pool as they attacked you for the food. A lady close to us was quite badly cut by one of the cats trying to get her food. The sun lounges were filthy and never cleaned, and the surrounding area never swept from the day before. Unacceptable.

FoodThe food in the main restaurant was always cold and never topped up. The selection was minimal compared to other Caribbean destinations we have visited. Extremely dissapointing.

Staff
I can say that 50% of the staff were wonderful, but unfortunately the other 50% really let the hotel down. When we asked for something it was always a problem, if we suggested or made a complaint they argued with us, and when we asked to see the manager or the rep to air our concearns we were always told that he was too busy at the hotel next door. Extremely unprofessional.

RoomsWe had a nice room, but once again the tiles on the floor were unsafe and extremely dangerous when they were wet. Unfortunately our room door did not fit its frame properly therefore leaving spaces at both the top and the bottom, so every mosquito, fly and other insects were able to fly into the room so we were all covered in bites, which again was unnecessary as we were all were protected with repellent and spray. Should this really be the case in a 3.5V resort.

Towels
Although pool towels were meant to be provided between 8-10am. No towels were ever available, which meant that most people were to scared to hand their dirty towels at the end of the day just in case they didn’t get another clean one in the morning. Unacceptable.

Animation/Entertainment
Unfortunately during our stay the weather was not great, no daytime animation or activities were arranged for the guests who were either left sitting in their rooms or in the reception area getting extremely drunk. I find this hard to believe in a hotel that you would class as a 3.5 V resort.

FlightOur outward flight was excellent, the staff were superb and provided us with the adequate assistance required when travelling with an infant, however I cannot say the same for our return flight. The staff appeared to be extremely inexperienced and did not even provide us with an infant meal, which had been pre-ordered. One of the staff gave us a bassinette to place the baby in, without a blanket in the base or to cover her with. In addition, once the baby was in the bassinette and sleeping the girl then decided that she had not made it properly and that we would have to remove the baby and wait for another cot. I understand that safety comes first especially when it’s my child, but to do this in the middle of the night when our baby was already settled and sleeping was quite unacceptable. Our baby was not offered an infant meal, which was requested at the time of booking and also when we carried out or check in and chill out booking. We also explained that we had a connecting flight to catch and would appreciate getting off the plane early, which other passengers were allowed to do, we were told we would just have to wait. Again I find this totally unacceptable.

To top it allOur flight times leaving Tobago were changed by Virgin, although at the time of booking and departure this was not the case, we were promissed by the Virgin Rep "Nadia" that we were booked on a later flight to Scotalnd than had been previously booked and that Virgin had picked up any additional costs. Well can you believe it that when we arrived at the North Terminal at Gatwick that yes we had seats reserved on the later flight, but that no aditional vosts had been paid, so to cut a long story short we had to pay an additional £186.00 to get to Edinburgh plus a 1.5 drive home from their.

To Sum it up, on completing the hotel questionaire I handed this into reception and asked the staff if they are read, I was told that only the management get to read them. I asked what the Tobago and Trinidad Tourism Board rate the hotel as, and was informed that they rate the hotel as a 2.5*, Virgin rate it as a 3.5V which we would take to be 3.5*. This is not the case, if you are a experienced traveller rate this resort at more 2*. Unfortunately the Tobago and Trinidad tourist site does not have any information on its accomodation page (correct me if I'm worng) so I cannot verify the information that the reception staff gave me.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Jennifer,I am so sad that you had such a bad experience at the Grafton,I can only say that it must have changed a great deal in the past 3/4 years.I do hope this has not turned you off Tobago for good-give it another try,but this time use this site to find accommodation etc.yourself.Everyone will gladly give advise and suggestions.
Regards David
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

I too am saddened by what i've just read, if you decide to go back to Tobago (and i hope you do) maybe give the self catering thing a go,we have done both,stayed at the Rex Turtle Beach in 2004 and Hummingbird Heights this year and although the Rex was very nice i much prefered Hummingbird Heights,you're not relying on anyone,which is great,you can do you're own thing,plus it has an excellent private pool,i loved it. Going back in Feb 2006.I have flown with both Virgin and Excel and have had very good service from both airlines. Good luck with your complaint to Virgin. Andy :D
April Bevan

Re: My review

Post by April Bevan »

I am so sorry to read your sad review, you really did not enjoy yourself did you. I feel very sorry that you had such a bad holiday and I must say if I did not know that you were referring to the Grafton then I would not have ever guessed. You see, we stayed there in September this year, and had a fabulous time, the Pool was cleaned every evening and re-chlorinated bins emptied and tiles washed. The food was of good quality and always hot and plentiful and if something was running out, it was quickly replenished by a smiling face. I agree that with children it may have been a bit difficult if they got hungry between meals as no snacks were available, although there was afternoon tea. We had a great room and it was cleaned thoroughly every morning despite my husbands propensity to cover everything in sand!!!I do agree that the entertainment does not come up to much, but quite honestly by the time we had spent a long day in that heat dashing about all over the Island, a couple of drinks a laugh and chat with fellow guests and we were ready to drop,so it did not upset any of us too much.
I hope though that this experience will not put you off the Island as it is beautiful and there are so many other places to stay. I wonder if the time of year makes a difference. When we were there the hotel was only half full as it was the rainy season although it only rained three times in 15 days and then only for about 1 hour each time.Yes we had an extra day, but that is another story altogether, though Virgin were wonderful, our flight was delayed 24 hours as the pilot had died tragically one hour before the flight so they pulled us all out of the airport and sent us all inclusive to the Tobago Hilton for 24 hours. Amazing organization. Nadias best trick all holiday!!!
Pat Mccombes

Post by Pat Mccombes »

Hi Jennifer, good luck with your letter to Virgin. We had to complain last year about a hotel on another island, after asking to be flown home we were moved to another one - albeit a star marking below. We had paid extra for an upgraded room (which we didn't get) and got quite a lot of money back. Shame you had the problems on the flight, we've had a few occasions when the staff have been inexperienced, but generally Virgin are pretty good.
I think too if we went back to Tobago we might well look at either sailing round or B&B somewhere quite small - as it is indeed a lovely island.
Hope next years holiday is better.
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Grafton Beach concern

Post by Irene »

I have just read the report by Jennifer Muscat about her visit to the above hotel and am horrified!!! Four of our family have booked a two week holiday in mid January staying at the Grafton and I am now very concerned. Following a horrific experience at the Tropikist in 2003, I spent much time reading all reviews of medium priced hotels and after reading Steve's review thought that this would be a nice place to stay. It is too late now to change our booking and we always go abroad with an open mind, but if this hotel turns out to be anything like Jennifer described, it will spoil another holiday on my favourite island in the world. Jennifer, I am so sorry you had such a bad experience and I hope yours was a one-off. I will come back to write a review at the end of January. Irene :(

Return to “Grafton Beach Resort”