Wonderful holiday, great hotel

108 room 3*+ All-Inclusive resort at Stone Haven Bay (listing)
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Wonderful holiday, great hotel

Post by Irene »

First of all my thanks goes to Peter Brown who responded to my concern after reading the bad reports on this hotel and he put my mind at rest .

We have just returned from a two-week holiday at the Grafton Beach hotel (12 - 26 January). Four of us had two interconnecting rooms, my husband and me with our grown up son and daughter.

This is my report on the hotel: We were greeted on arrival by the Customer Service Manager, Elroy Green, (wonderful chap) who showed a real interest in our trip and concern that my son had got a chest infection at the last moment and couldn’t travel with us. Golden Caribbean had already faxed the hotel (commendation to them) to inform us that they had re-scheduled his flight to the following week. We were given a refreshing cocktail and Elroy showed us to our rooms where he checked all appliances to make sure everything was working. Thanks Elroy, for all your help during our stay! The rooms were ocean view and were clean and very comfortable. Maid service every morning made sure it stayed that way.

The hotel is a little dated, but my goodness that is compensated for by the excellence of the staff team. Every one of them was polite and very friendly and quickly attended to our every need. I take exception to the comment of Richard Buckley about as he put it, “one old bald man who was grumpy and unhelpful.” I think maybe the problem was with Richard Buckley! If he had made the effort to talk to Philbert Cunningham (Mr C as he’s called), he would have found a rather shy man who was warm and friendly and went out of his way to be helpful. When my son arrived the flight had made him feel quite ill and he spent the first day in bed. Mr C was the one who went out of his way to arrange for special drinks that we could make up in our room. In the middle of the very busy dinner preparation time, other members of staff arranged for bread to be brought from the pastry room so they could make some toast for him. If you bother to make the effort, you will find the staff are really sweet. If you don’t, you are the one who misses out. Our special thanks to Ivis Bonas, restaurant manager, who is a real gem. Her warm and helpful manner at breakfast and lunch enriched our stay. Our congratulations to the management for creating this happy team. All the staff commented on how well they were treated and how much they loved the job. This was evident to us and we were sad to say goodbye to so many new friends. We feel the derogatory remarks about staff on this site are completely unjustified.

The food was excellent too! Plenty of variety at every meal and the fish and roast meats were particularly good. We thoroughly enjoyed the Buffet evenings. This is only because on A La Carte evenings the meals served were BIG portions and my husband was putting on weight!! I like to eat local food when I travel and there was plenty of Caribbean foods but also lots of other options too. The sirloin steaks were particularly good and we were told the beef had been imported from America. Those who said the food was dreadful… well, I wonder what they serve their families at home!!

Don’t know why anyone would complain about the drinks either. We found them all full strength and no evidence of anything watered down. (We had learned all about watered down drinks on an all-inclusive holiday in the Dominican Republic where you can drink cocktails all day with no effect at all). The white wine was good too. I didn’t taste the red, but Tim said it was not so good. However his favourite drink is Carib anyway.

We enjoyed the entertainment most evenings and found the rest rooms in the lobby were cleaned regularly. Only once during our stay did the hand towel run out and five minutes after telling a member of staff it was replaced.

We talked to many of the guests and made friends with some. When we were there they were a great friendly bunch! Interestingly they all had the same view of the hotel as us. Our thanks to the General Manager, Mr Dickinson who responded quickly and efficiently when we had a special need and even said goodbye and shook hands with us on our departure. Our stay was a very happy one thanks to all the staff for their friendly welcoming and warm Caribbean manner. Well done!! We look forward to seeing them all again in the near future. Irene :D
Steven H

Wonderful holiday, great team

Post by Steven H »

Dear Irene and Tim

I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I don't want readers to be mislead about who helped fix your holiday.

Firstly I am so glad that your holiday worked out well for you and hope you will take the trouble to call us in due course. It was not Golden Caribbean who worked hard at re-organising your holiday, although they did fly you all there. You booked with us at JustCaribbean.com and it was myself who organised the new holiday details on the very morning you were all due to fly out to Tobago.

That very morning when a member of your family called and told us your son had not got on the flight, I organised a booked a new flight so he could join you later. I then faxed the hotel (probably while you were taking off from Gatwick) asking them to inform you on arrival that we had successfully made new arrangements so you and your family would not be concerned.

We work closely with the hotel and the team there are fantastic. We have lots of feedback about Elroy Green who is a wouderful person (great Guest Services Manager) and he has also received feedback from our guests who have stayed at Le Grand Courlan, as they are sister hotels.

We recently booked a very late wedding at Grafton Beach, the couple rang us late and booked the holiday and wedding 72 hours before arrival in Tobago. Elroy helped throughout and even managed to get the Bride a new beautiful white wedding dress within 2 days, needless to say they were thrilled.

I am proud to be part of the reservation team
Steven H

Thanks kindly received

Post by Steven H »

Hi Irene and Tim

Thank you for taking the trouble to call this morning, it was very much appreciated by all the team here at JustCaribbean.com.
We will forward your kind comments back to the hotel team who'll also be happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Kind regards to all the family
http://www.justcaribbean.com
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

More than 'justcaribbean'

Post by Irene »

Dear Steven

Thank you for the above reply. I realise now that it was justcaribbean that did all the work for us as I recognised Lorna's name on the letter my son received. I phoned this morning and spoke to Richard and asked him to give you all a big 'thank you' for what you did for us. The service we received from the initial booking with you guys was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble and the amount of advice I received during my numerous phone calls was very reassuring, expecially in connection with my concerns about flying with Excel.

We were delighted with the hotel and all the staff there made our holiday the success it was. Elroy especially was great. He was always available when we had a query and nothing was too much trouble for him.

My thanks and commendation to all at justcaribbean. Keep up the good work!

Irene
Wendy G

Post by Wendy G »

Irene,you've made me feel a little bit more at ease with you're report on Grafton Beach Hotel.I'm staying there for 2 weeks with my hubby,one of my older sisters and her hubby,my nephew & his wife to be,there getting married there.Hope it's as good when we go,we go on 4th may,i'm counting the days! 8)
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Total chill

Post by Irene »

Wendy, relax and enjoy! You will have a great time. I would go back there tomorrow if I could and will certainly aim to return next year. I have found that Caribbean people are rather shy, so be the first to greet and befriend people and they will warm to you in a way that moves the heart. Give our regards to the wonderful staff and especially Elroy Green. Don't forget to give us a report when you get back. Have a great, great holiday.
Irene :D
Wendy G

Post by Wendy G »

Thank you Irene,i will give a report when we get back! :D
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Travel

Post by Irene »

Having read a lot of response from people on this site about the difference in quality and price of taxi hire, anyone staying at the Grafton Beach, or Le Grand Courlan resorts and wants to travel on the island should feel comfortable with Hilton, the local taxi hire just outside the entrance gate. Hilton took us everywhere we wanted to go and was always there in good time. He even came on Sunday morning to take us to a meeting and only told us afterwards that he didn't work on Sundays. On the day we left he took us to the airport and even stopped at Penny Savers so we could do some shopping. His fares are very reasonable and he is a super nice guy. Thank you Hilton! :D
Anyone wanting to hire a taxi to go anywhere should always agree the price beforehand. This is a protection so you don't get ripped off.
Irene

Return to “Grafton Beach Resort”