Where to stay...?

108 room 3*+ All-Inclusive resort at Stone Haven Bay (listing)
Eleanor

Where to stay...?

Post by Eleanor »

Hi all...
I am considering going to Tobago on October 18th with my 15 year old son during his half term holidays.. my own family are from Antigua but we thought we'd go to another island. I am a little concerned though on several points: Firstly I wondering if the weather will be bad [raining all the time], Secondly I tend to reserach the destinations I go to prior to travelling there and have heard time and time again that hotel staff in Tobago tend to be surly and rude not uniformily but this seems to be a common trait.
Finally I'm geting mixed reviews about the Grafton, Arnos Vales and Half Moon Blue Hotels.

I'm booking via a specific online travel company so can only choose the accommodation they offer which is: the ones listed above plus the Hilton Tobago, Le Grand Courlan Spa, Blue Haven , Coco Reef Resort and Turtle Beach by Rex. But the cost of these hotels is really above my budget aside from the Turtle Beach.. but the Turtle Beach does not offer just breakfast but an all inclusive option which works out expensive...

I could really do with some advice... my son and I went on holiday last year and had an awful time and we really just want to chill out and relax in pleasant surroundings. I can cope with rude staff but I'm worried that the food and accommodation might prove dodgy having looked at the reviews on tripadvisor.com. i am edging towards the Grafton.. would that be a good choice?
Thanks
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Eleanor,

My preference, (and it would be my own personal preference!!), would be stay at The Grafton. It's a good hotel, and there are usually lots of families there, which will mean that your son will probably be in good company. Arnos Vale is lovely, but quite remote, and it's also very quiet at this time of year. I don't have much experience of HMB, I'm afraid, but I certainly don't think you'd be unhappy with Grafton!

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday, wherever you stay!

Best regards,
Lisa.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Eleanor

Welcome aboard! :lol:

You would certainly be MOST unlikely to find two weeks where it rained ALL of the time, or anything approaching it. Nobody can give guarantees, but wade through all the reports posted here this summer - or last October - and I think you'll find very few references to bad weather spoiling holidays. So, I think you can safely forget your fears there.

Wherever did you hear reports that Tobago hotel staff are surly and rude? The whole reason that so many thousands of travellers fall in love with Tobago and visit it time and time again is because of the warmth and friendliness of the local people. Yes, they are a very proud people and if you are rude, or talk "down" to them, you will quickly be shown their displeasure, but for the vast, vast majority of the local population, you get back far more than you put into any relationship with them. Can I please be blunt, without in any way meaning to be hurtful or disrespectful to your family's home island: Tobago is many times more friendly and hospitable than Antigua - an island I enjoy and have visited MANY times. In fact the Hawksbill was one of my favourite hotels anywhere in the Caribbean.

The Grafton is by far the superior of the hotels that you mention as being within your budget. However, it is also the largest and so has a very different ethos to Arnos Vale and Half Moon Blue. They are both very small hotels badly in need of some TLC. You can read our own review of the Grafton in the 'Reviews' menu above. We don't consider that the other two would high enough standards to be included in our "Reviewed & Recommended" category. Pity, because as Lisa says, the Arnos Vale has possibly the most stunning location on the island.

Anyway, everything you need to know to help you decide whether Tobago is your type of holiday destination and where to stay and what to do can be found on this site - and good balanced discussion. Forget other sites - and particularly the one you mention - because virtually every review site only allows a single visitor report with no discussion. Those who posts over-the-top, or apparently malicious reports, soon get "outed" here simply because other readers who genuinely know the establishment will be quick to address the balance and caution other readers that the report may not be a typical view of the establishment.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Eleanor,

It's a while since we stayed at Grafton Beach - 4 years in fact - but we found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. Any problems were sorted out swiftly and with minimum fuss, and most people were happy to be engaged in conversation (especially the bar and housekeeping teams).

We enjoyed the location very much too - it's a beautiful place to stay - and as for the island, well we've returned once already, and hope to go back again soon.

I'm sure you will both love it!

Jane

Return to “Grafton Beach Resort”