Guest Report

108 room 3*+ All-Inclusive resort at Stone Haven Bay (listing)
David Allen

Guest Report

Post by David Allen »

The Grafton Beach Resort is in one of the nicer locations on the island of Tobago. Unfortunately, that is where all of the niceness ends. The hotel is basically clean except for a few small problems and there is security, but we were able to drive through the gate at will without ever being identified - so how good could the security be?

The rooms need work and are covered in wet spots on the ceiling and have that moldy/musty smell about them. I stay at ocean locations frequetly and have not experienced that in a long time.

The final straw, however, for me was the staff. Remember this phrase, "well I never," because you will be saying it frequently. From the moment we walked in we could tell that this was going to be an unusually negelectful staff, and boy did they live up. The front desk staff will be rude, short tempered and will probably make you wait an exceeedingly long time to check in. The rest of the staff is no better, if fact they are much worse. When it comes time to pay the bill they will be all over you like a rash...and I am not kidding.

The Grafton also treats people differently based on how they look. If you look the right way you may get treated better, if you don't look the right way you experience what I and my family experienced.

There are many wonderful places to go in the carribean, I would suggest that you look there before you visit Tobago. They are not prepared for European and American travelers because we have an expectation that they are unwilling and unable to meet. They don't even try in most instances.

This place just happened to be among the absolute worst offenders of the bunch. It really is too bad because they have such a wonderful location that they could be very successful.

Back Caymen I guess.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Dave Allen,if you had the courage to register Iwould probaly pay more attention to your critique,however you CANNOT besmirch the Island on your ten days in an AI hotel.........that is not Tobago!What did you do,did you go and find the real Island?MMMMMM
If you want Blair Island go to Barbados,Tobago is wonderful with gracious and generous people,and I can't wait to be there again!
David
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi David (Allen)

I've never stayed at the Grafton, so will take take your word for the attitude of the staff, although your expectations do seem to be based on the kind of reception and service that you are more used to in the Cayman Islands. Never stayed there either, so will take your word for how wonderful it is.

Tobago isn't the same as the Caymans, or many other Caribbean islands, with a heavy American influence and long may it remain so - it's one of the things that many of us like about the place.

I also think it's a bit of a broad statement to suggest that Tobago is incapable of providing what WE Europeans and Americans want and expect. It isn't what you and your family want or expected, so you feel pi**ed that you wasted your money. You made the wrong choice of hotel, which is hardly a reason to slag off Tobago as a whole.

I would agree with David W that an AI hotel is hardly a fair representation of a holiday destination and I would hope that if you do change your mind and return to Tobago, you might stay in locally owned and managed accomodation and get out and meet some of the people who are willing to share their island with visitors in a welcoming and hospitable way.

For me - it's back 'bago I guess

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

There are many wonderful places to go in the carribean, I would suggest that you look there before you visit Tobago. They are not prepared for European and American travelers because we have an expectation that they are unwilling and unable to meet. They don't even try in most instances.
What is this expectation that you think European and American travellers have? I have travelled in many countries and, in my experience, if you accept people for who they are this will be reflected in the way they react to you. The people of Tobago, in general, are amongst the friendliest you will find anywhere.

Tony
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

It's some while since we went to the Grafton - but I have to say that we found the usual rules apply there as anywhere ie if you're friendly and polite to the staff, they're just the same with you. Don't go in with an attitude - and you won't get one back! And remember - this is the Caribbean - and things may take a little longer (so just sit back, relax and enjoy the view).

The Grafton - AI - was our first experience of Tobago. Unlike some AI guests, we hired a car, we used the buses - and we explored the island and met some of the local people. The whole experience was so good that we've been back since (and hope to keep returning) - and I've become a myTobago addict.

Maybe it's down to whether Tobago is your sort of island? I've never been to the Caymans - the pictures look nice but the prices seemed prohibitive (for us at least). So thank you - I'll stick to Tobago (and Grenada and St. Lucia - but I probably shouldn't say that here!)

Jane
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

"The Grafton also treats people differently based on how they look. If you look the right way you may get treated better, if you don't look the right way you experience what I and my family experienced."

As a regular visitor to T&T since 1989, I must say I really don´t understand this! "If you look the right...if don´t look the right...", what does that suppose to mean?

They don´t care if you are white, black, mixed or whatever, mostly they don´t even say something if guests sometimes are dressed in a way not accepted in T&T, so...?

So, it more sounds that you and your family didn´t show correct attitude against them, like Jane, Tony and Steve did mention. Mayby you did expect an 5* treatment from an AI-Hotel into a country where the staff always say "Yes Sir, No Sir" never mind how THEY are treated by the guests.

If an AI-Hotel is a must, if you can afford that, why did you choose Grafton? Coco Reef is a far better place, even Hilton Tobago is better.

You did simply choose a wrong destination for you and your family, accordning to what you say.
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

Hey Guys,

I think we're wasting our time replying to this post. The OP made this report in the accomodations section and it was automatically copied to the forum. I doubt that he even knows it's here and won't see our comments, let alone respond.

We and Tobago are probably both better off without him :roll:

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Lina Mallon

Re: Avoid like the plague

Post by Lina Mallon »

David Allen wrote: From the moment we walked in we could tell
I am sure you are right Bill, but Ijust have to comment on this bit.

How can you tell from the moment you walk in how the hotel staff is going to be. You must not have given them a chance. I found the staf very firnedly and helpful.

We stayed here and even though we wouldn't go back to Grafton as I would rather stay in a small guest house than in an AI hotel I would never complain about the staff and I would certainly never say that people got treated differently. We spent time with loads of different people in the hotel from all over the world from different classes and races but I could not see that anyone was treated any different.

Return to “Grafton Beach Resort”