Guest Report

5-room Hostel in Buccoo (listing)
Lindon

Guest Report

Post by Lindon »

The owner Brandon is an intense dude, and during the first hour I spent there, I thought we might clash. I'm actually surprised that a week later I find myself writing that he may just be the most generous host I met in three years of traveling. Things he provided free of charge:

- A British couple had stayed there for three weeks, so for one their last nights, Brandon had a giant fish and lobster dinner prepared for everyone free of charge. He even invited guests to come back who had changed hotels to another part of the island.

- Brought us fresh cooked breakfast from the store one morning.

- Let me use his phone for several calls that definitely cost him

- Shared whatever he had, including a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black that is much more expensive on the island that elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I already know I am forgetting several other things. Nevertheless, he was always buying stuff or bringing stuff to give to his guests for free. You never see that these days with all the penny-pinching owners and managers. Brandon was different.

I also highly recommend this place for solo travelers. Brandon is always inviting people to go out and having events at his place. Also very helpful with ideas and what to do. If you like fishing, Brandon has a boat and seems to be auditioning for the Fishing Channeling, so you'll love him.

On the website, you will also see they have a discount room, like $27 or $28. I stayed there. Was very nice. Had a small kitchen in the separate living room. Was more like a mini-suite, believe it or not. Burner, dishes, coffee maker, etc. Private bathroom, hot water, etc. A/C. The whole works. Also stayed one night in another room. Everything seems brand new and top quality, like in a more expensive western hotel.

Two drawbacks. First, as a backpacker, I really hate when people charge for internet. He charges for the wifi password and about 3.40/hour to use the computer terminal, which is higher than at most internet cafes. I wish he would change this. That said, you pay for the hour, and he doesn't time you, so if you spend a few hours, I doubt he'll ask for more. Likewise, the second time I need to use it, I was short on cash, and Brandon said pay whatever.

The other drawback is that the location is not around a lot of stuff. There are beaches, but not the main beaches (though great if you want privacy). A few bars, but not the main bars from what I could tell. You will need to do some walking or rent a car. That said, I think the same situation will be true most anywhere you stay on the island outside Crown Point or Scarborough. Regardless of this, I was happy to stayed there and had a great time.

Return to “Fish Tobago”