Bait advice

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
Raja Ragoonath
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Bait advice

Post by Raja Ragoonath »

I will be going for my vacation at Tobago on the 29th July ...Can anyone advise on on successful bait/lures used in Tobago for inshore/beach fishing?
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Bait advice

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Raja

Hope this reply is not too late.

It depends what you are aiming to catch and if you're fishing from the shore or from a boat but a fillet of flying fish or the head if you prefer to eat the fillet yourself is a good bait for many species.

For rock fish such as parrotfish or grouper we have found the small snails that can be found along the waterline to be good if you can get them out of their shells.
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Hi Steve
Please do not encourage people to fish off the reefs ! They are protected !
The parrot fish are already being decimated by groups of youths at weekends going from beach to beach with spearguns then going south to sell the catch.
When approached they have become very aggressive and I was warned 'not to interfere' ! So I did................
Do not encourage visitors to buy from them, they are not 'fishermen'............One Sunday they cleared the reef at Little Bay taking some 50+ good size fish. Visitors were asking why there no fish to see on the reef............
Parrot fish eat the algae on the reef and do contain toxins which some people are allergic to.
Some 'sport' fishermen with spearguns take out the lionfish which IS to be encouraged as they are spreading down the islands to the detriment of the indigenous fish population. Although very tasty when filleted they do really have to be treated with great care as they have really poisonous barbs. I wear thick gloves and use shears to cut of the barbs.
Getting back to the original question, you can use any small fish for bait whether as live bait or not.You can pick them up off the beach most days, usually left on the beach by the seine fishermen or use scraps, cut up heads etc( if you are not using them for fishbroth ), a small jack will provide more than enough bait.
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Similar reason why I stopped giving advice in every sense as I got tired of people keeping everything they catch even the smallest of specimens. I am a strictly a catch n release angler so I do not support any kind of sensless overfishing at all.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Chris Runciman wrote:Hi Steve
Please do not encourage people to fish off the reefs ! They are protected !
Sorry Chris - I'm not encouraging anyone to fish off the reefs - nor am I encouraging people to buy parrot fish - if you read my reply .

I remember seeing the fish tables at Lambeau / Rockly Bay literally growning under the weight of dead parrot fish several years ago.

I always thought it was a rather sad sight being an angler who mostly returns all he catches.

Spear fishermen were the 'culprits' back then too, so not a a new phenomenon I'm afraid.
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Steve, Robert & Chris,
Steve & Robert I often read your posts...was fascinated by your stories of fishing off the shore...and I'm not a fishermen! If you did keep some, don't remember being mentioned; thought you were doing it for fun and maybe share a couple of fish with some friends.
Chris, I was appalled by your story of spearing gunning/cleaning out the reef....I know the economy if not getting any better for a lot of people (things are not so great in Canada either, bur rather different)....but why kill the reason a number of people come to Tobago...enjoy the sea, snorkeling & scuba living. It's enough that climate change is effecting the reefs without also killing the fish too!
Cheers, Carol

Return to “Recreational Fishing”