which fishing tackle?

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
David M C

which fishing tackle?

Post by David M C »

Hi everyone,
Can anyone help me, I am coming to Tobago in November for the first time, being a keen fisherman I would like to do a bit of fishing ( if the o/h allows) I enjoy fly fishing with both single handed and double handed rods which would you recommend I bring or am I better off with a spinning rod ?
Your advise would be very much appreciated

Thanks
David
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: which fishing tackle?

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

I generally try trolling with local fishermen and use an Ambassadeur 10000C with large wobblers, preferrably Rapala red and white but to each his own...
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

HI David,

I guess the best advice is to take as much gear as you can. I'm not a master of fly fishing so I can't say which rod you should opt for. Spinning, bottom fishing, float fishing can all be awesome.

Robert
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi David

If you enjoy fishing with a fly rod then your single hander would be more practical.
If you have an 8 wt that will be good for snook, bonefish and small tarpon.
Larger fish like jacks and medium tarpon would require a 10 wt to stand a fighting chance of landing one from the shore.

A spinning rod would be more adaptable though if you have one.
As Robert says - spin, floatfish or bottom fishing can all be done with the same rod and catch many more species of fish.

There is a fishing around Tobago section in the Out and About tab at the top of the page.
Click on Activities/Things to do drop-down.

This page will give you some ideas on species to expect and suitable tackle bait/flies/lures etc .
http://www.mytobago.info/fishing08.php

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
David M C

Post by David M C »

Thank you guys for your advice, on the strength of what you say I will take a spinning rod and my trusty single handed
rod with a wf #8 line
Really looking forward to the experience.

Again thanks

David

Return to “Recreational Fishing”