tackle advice please

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
Martin Smirthwaite
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

tackle advice please

Post by Martin Smirthwaite »

Hi everyone, I
have just joined and would like to introduce myself, I live down in Torquay, and love fishing off Dartmouth for Bass Skate and cod etc. I will be in Tobago this December for a few weeks before island hopping around the Caribbean for 3 months. I normally take a 4 piece spinning rod and either a light weight fixed spool or small multiplier reel. Would this be suitable for shore fishing when spinning or lure fishing? Would I need a much stronger leader because of the type of fish that are caught? Any advice you can give would be gratefully received.
I will be staying at Millers Guest House and Bar from mid December till early mid Jan if anyone want's a fishing partner for the odd days fishing, please get in touch. Thanks
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: tackle advice please

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Martin

Have a look at the Q&As in the myTobago fishing section.
http://www.mytobago.info/fishing08.php

Hopefuly this should answer most of your questions

Cheers
Steve
Martin Smirthwaite
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

steve thanks for the link, just read it and the wire trace sounds ideal can you buy the stainless wire from a uk tackle shop? or do you have any other surgestions
Martin
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Martin

I've been using 30lb Tyger wire multi-strand for several years and can't fault it (apart from it costing £1 per foot :shock: )

It doesn't kink like most wire leaders and is so supple that it can be knotted, so avoids the use of swivels to join to your main line.

Talking of which - I use an Albright knot to join the wire to my 30lb braid or you can use a uni or loop to loop for the connection.

UK distributor is Sportfish and you can buy on-line here -
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/tyge ... eel-leader

For tying on a plug, shad or jig to the wire trace, a non-slip loop knot is my preferred knot.
see picture 5 'loop knot' here - http://www.mikeladle.com/catch/catch174.html

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Martin Smirthwaite
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Hi Steve
thanks for the links, just ordered the wire trace, not bad at £12.98 delivered. At least I should stand a better chance of landing more fish.
Thanks again, Matin

Return to “Recreational Fishing”