Fishing in June?

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Fishing in June?

Post by Ben Meadows »

Hello all,
From reading posts and watching a video, my 3 friends and I have chosen Tobago as our fishing destination for 2010. From what we've seen and heard, there is bountiful shore-fishing opportunities on Tobago and we're all excited to do some fishing finally on our own (past trips have only been with a guide).
There seems to be a hitch in our plan though. We are all students in college and i've read that the drivers licensing age in Tobago is 25. Since none of us are of age, we'd have to do all fishing by foot, taxi, or bicycling, I assume.

Is this a workable plan? or is having a rental car necessary for Tobago fishing success?

Thanks for any help,

Ben
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Fishing in June?

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Ben

A hire car isn't essential, given that Tobago is a relatively small island and wherever you stay you shouldn't be more than a couple of miles (or metres) from the sea.

The best area to stay for good fishing would be the Crown Point area as this will give you access to most of the productive marks.

If you are reasonably fit (of course you are) then hiring a bike will be a cheap option for getting from your accomodation to the shore and as this area is called Lowlands, there are few hills to negotiate with a rod strapped to your crossbar.

Hope this helps

Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Martin Smirthwaite
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Martin Smirthwaite »

Hi Ben
theres no problem just catch the local buses or the local taxi's which are very cheap, eg Bon Accord or to Plymouth 5tt or 3tt by bus they leave every hour from Store bay road or the airport.
As long as your all together it will be fine. I have been from one end of the island to the other using both form of transport with no problem on my own. Met with Robert at 6am, Sandy Point on Sunday morning just hailed a local cab from the road . The only problem is I've caught no fish in 5 weeks the other must be jammy Bu----ers. The tides have been at the wrong time at dusk and sun rise, plus as you will read on here the waves have been huge one day when small the next so the conditions are very difficult
regards
Martin
ps please ask as many question as you wish as it nice to help a fellow traveller and you will get an honest answer +++++

been very disappointed with the fishing because in the UK i normally catch on a regular basis.
Take care
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Martin,

I wish you a very good haul for the rest of your stay!!!!!

Take care

Robert
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Martin and Mr. Pitts,
Thanks for the response and information. Is there anywhere in particular y'all would recommend for lodging? I'd love to right next to fishable water if possible, and there seem to be many many choices in the Crown Point area.

Also, should I be concerned about safety in this area? (its hard to get a straight answer about this kind of stuff because news companies love to blow things out of proportional, while tour guides tend to downplay the real facts)

Thank you all,

Ben
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

I had it on good authority that the driving age was 18 when I visited in 01/2009 and my son (18 at the time) was allowed to drive our hire car.

Unless the law has changed in the last year?

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Martin Smirthwaite
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Martin Smirthwaite »

Dear Robert,
many thanks for he friendship you showed me it was much appreciated, i am now on St Kitts which seems to be more productive arrived today to find people catching fish from the pier in Frigate Bay. Have a safe trip back, would you like me to post picture from here or is it not relevant, readers please let me now ?

Regards
Martin
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Never enough fishing pictures! Bring it on. =D>

Hugh 8)
Graham W
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Graham W »

Please keep posting fishing updates and pics :)

Graham
Ben Meadows
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Ben Meadows »

Paul,
what car rental agency did you use with your son?

thanks

ben
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Robert T »

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot , same here! I wish I could've had my stay extended. Please post pics of any fish you may come across!!
Good luck with fishing!!!

Take care

Robert

Return to “Recreational Fishing”