Fishing Week of April 1st

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
Alex R
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Fishing Week of April 1st

Post by Alex R »

Greetings all,

My wife and I are excited to be planning our first trip to Tobago. We will arrive this weekend and I hope to spend most mornings fishing from the surf. I've read through the fishing sections on this site and would like to thank the site administrators for all the excellent information.

Has anyone had any fishing success lately from the surf? If so can you tell me what tackle/lures were working best? I'm having a difficult time narrowing down which tackle to bring.

Thanks for the information and if anyone is going to be fishing next week let me know.

- Alex

Alex
Morehead City, NC
USA
Robert T
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Re: Fishing Week of April 1st

Post by Robert T »

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately I cannot be there to fish with you (I wish I could) but here's some lead on tackle, beaches etc.

For snook the best lures that worked for me are the shallow diving ones (rapalas, yo-zuries, and marias) but to be honest I had the most success while using light jigs. (7-10 g). If you wanna try your luck and catch snook visit Bacolet Bay or Sandy Point, in the mornings just around sunup. (6.30 am) though many sandy beaches around the Caribbean side can offer the same sport.

For barracuda (wire trace essential) and jacks surface poppers will induce a strike if the fish are present. You gotta be lucky to catch a jack as they are nomadic and they usually don't hang around too long.

I never had luck with tarpon on lures so probably someone else's going to fill you in on that. LIve or dead baiting worked the best for me.

I always fish with 50lb braid. For the snooks and tarpon I usually use a lenght of heavy mono attached to lures, jigs or hooks, and as I mentioned before, I use knottable wire if there's a chance to encounter toothier species like barracuda.

You'll need a heavier all around rod and a solid reel that can hold about 300 meters of braid.

Good luck with plenty of fish

Robert
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Alex,

i have no clue about fishing from shore, but once you are an enthusiasted sports fisherman,
try a trolling excursion with one of the operators, too. This time of the year is Wahoo and Mahi-Mahi.
The picture below shows the M/Y "Anticipation" team on the second day of the Wahoo tournament, March 6&7 2010,
in Trinidad. Yes, the lady won the award for "best female angler" with her 26 lbs Wahoo.
Some days after, she held a 54 lbs ....

You see, there is fish to catch. Good luck and do have a nice vacation.

Andy
Attachments
Team MY Anticipation.JPG
Team MY Anticipation.JPG (168.16 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
Brian E.
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Brian E. »

How long will you be staying. I am due for Tobago on april the 13th. It is going to be a fishing trip fo me and my buddy. Hoping for bonefish, snook, tarpon, jacks, od permit etc etc. Whatever is catchable on the flyrod.
Still looking for cheap lodgings arround pigeonpoint or sandy bay.
Were are going to stay?

Maybe we'll see eachother on the beaches if by any change you'll be there aswell at that time. You can give us a headsup with all your findings before our arrival :D
Good luck

Return to “Recreational Fishing”