richard ash

Questions and comment on sport fishing on Tobago
alan
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

richard ash

Post by alan »

hi all anyone got a cntact number richard ash, going out to tobago in april, would like to do some inshore fishing, around the crownpoint area.or if anybody knowes of anyother locals that take people fishing inshore ,would be glad of some info . thanks :D
Frank Butau
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Re: richard ash

Post by Frank Butau »

Hi Alan

Richard is a great guy to go out with as he has a good undrstanding of lure fishing. He is easy to get on with and best of all he is a life guard who is safety concious.

I was last out with him in October/nov 2010 and although i only had limited time to fish (just 4hrs trolling) as the girlfriend had other plans and fishing was only permitted first thing in the morning before she got up. Went out for two 4hr trips. Got a few hook ups and landed some Dorado, King mackrel and bonito. We did run into some big stuff but was unable to land any of the monsters (all down to me and my nerves not holding out) as we got spooled, 100lbs wire leader bitten clean through and oh yes some of my knots failed on me #-o .

I couldn't fault Richard as he did get me onto the fish and that was only on a four hour trip (magic). He is always punctual, so be there at the time you have agreed with him (after some rum punch and carib the night before i was a little late for our trip :roll: ). Richard will fillet your catch for you and prepare it so all youhave to do is grill/BBQ it when you get home. I got his permision to pass on his number.

His mobile number is (868) 710-4603.

If you can't get a hold of him just pop into one of the curio shops at store bay and ask for a dreadlocked rasta (Think they call him fire burn) and he will get Richard for you.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. Tell him Frank said hello!!!

Good luck!
alan
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by alan »

hi frank thanks for the very prompt reply .any info on boat size,asthere will be 2 of us :)
Frank Butau
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Frank Butau »

Hi Alan

Richard is a ocal fisherman and uses a pirouge. Two people can fish comfortably on a pirougue. I am not sure of the actual dimensions of the standard pirouge but if you look on youtube and search for clips with local fishermen in tobago, you will get a good idea of boat size. The last time i was out there were 4 guys in the boat with only two fishing at any one time (they were friends of mine, i did not share the trip).

It won't be anything close to the luxury that can be had on a typical sport fishing charter but the experience is more enjoyable ( that's my own opinion) not to mention a lot cheaper :D . Just be aware that there may not be any GPS, fishfinder or life jacket when fishing with the locals :? (Richard always has life jackets on board). It can get a bit hairy so make sure you have your sea legs when you go out. There is a cover in case it gets too hot for you and twin engines (i think it was 90BHP each) so it is a good ride out to where ever you decide to go.

Take plenty of sun screen, water, sanwiches and a cooler for storing your catch. Be sure to agree on what happens with your catch before you set out as some guys expect to take all the catch back with them to sell. Richard is open and will normally ask you for what you prefer to do with the catch. Common courtesy is to take only what you intend to eat as these guys also need to offset the fuel cost by selling some of the catch.

OH and make sure you inform them of species that you would like to release. A poor sailfish was gaffed before i even got a chance to stop another local guy who i fished with :evil: .

You are going just after the local fishing tournament so am sure you will have a cracking time.
Sterling
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Sterling »

Hey guys,
I'm going back to Tobago in June and im thinking about hiring Richard Ash for his services based on what I've read here. Can you guys just give me a bit more specifics on his boat, and his going rate?

Return to “Recreational Fishing”