Questions and comment about scuba diving and snorkeling
Chris_T
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Diving The Sisters

Post by Chris_T »

Hi guys!

First time poster but long time lurker!

I am coming back to the island for my 5th time in October and would really love to dive The Sisters to try and see some of the big stuff. I'm an advanced diver and have read about the conditions etc.

I will be staying in Castara but have access to a car so travel not too much of an issue. Can someone please recommend a dive centre that will assist?

I appreciate conditions will dictate whether Sisters can be dived but i'm only really interested in diving that site as have dived other sites extensively on previous visits.

Thanks

Chris
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Diving The Sisters

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Chris

Welcome aboard - in fact a special welcome aboard as you are a long-time lurker! :)

Not being a diver, I can't speak from personal experience. However, I understand that Richie at Wild Turtle, who are based down in Great Courland Bay at the Turtle Beach Hotel, does pick-ups in Castara and dives out at The Sisters. He could be a good choice.

There are so few reputable dive centres in Tobago that an alternative is to check out those listed in our Dive section and drop a line to each asking whether they offer what you're looking for. Also, try the Search facility at the top of the page and just enter 'Sisters'. You'll find a few references that might give you useful information. I note that we answered a similar question just a couple of months ago, so you might be interested in http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopi ... 88&t=10911
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris_T
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Chris_T »

Hi Steve,

That's great! I will drop Richie an email, the fact they do pick up from Castara is even better!

OT shame to see the posts about the crime levels going up. Last time I was over was 2 years ok during fisherman's festival and everything seemed pretty 'iri' then. We drove all over the island and didn't experience anything too bad.
I'm also gutted to hear Englishman's Bay now has a rep for robberies....hoping this is just hype as it is one of our favorite beaches.

CT
Nidge
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Nidge »

Hi Chris,

We dived Tobago last November and happy to help. The best dive centre to use are Extra Divers. They have a centre at Pigeon Point and another one at Speyside. They are happy to pick up (within reason!). I was very interested in diving The Sisters as well and have a chat about it to the manager (Markus) of Extra Divers at Pigeon Point. I had read about the attraction of the big stuff too. Markus soon put me in the picture that he has not seen large stuff there for a while, nor had he heard about it from other operators on the island. Without the large stuff there was not much else to see on this site as there is no (or very little) coral growth in the area.

Obviously diving this site also depends on the currents as it is a fair way out.

But best thing to do, as Steve says, is to contact dive centres and see how things are. I do recommend that you get in touch with Markus.

All the best,

Nigel
Chris_T
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Chris_T »

HI Nigel,

Can you send me Markus' email?

Gutted to hear there is a lack of big stuff now....when we were out there in '09 we went fishing off/around Sisters and sharks smashed through most of our catch....on that basis I was hoping that a trip back would be well worth it. I'm willing to risk a crack of dawn dive of nothing on the chance of seeing something but not everyone has the same loves as me! :)

CT
Nidge
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Nidge »

Hi Chris,

Can't seem to PM you. Can you try to PM me with your email address and I'll email you Markus' details.

Cheers,

Nigel
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Guys

Full contact details are given within our dive listings and/or at Information > Useful Contacts & Links
Steve Wooler
Nidge
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Nidge »

Hi Steve,

How can I PM Chris (or he PM me?). I tried the "Contact Chris" section on his personal details page but there was no actual tool/link to do this. Please advise.
Thanks,
Nigel
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

My apologies, Nidge - the PM facility was switched off. Its a feature that is more a curse than a blessing and following complaints, I had switched it off. However, the 'nuisance' who was causing the complaints is no longer active on the board so we'll try it back on.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Diving & Snorkelling”