Redman at Speyside?

Questions and comment about scuba diving and snorkeling
Ute

Redman at Speyside?

Post by Ute »

Approx 10 years ago I dove with a local dive company, well a one man operation and his family in Speyside, called Red Man.

I'll be in Tobago next July and would love to dive with him again, if he's still in business. Does anyone know?
He took us fabulous places and really knew the currents.
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Ute,
I was in Speyside in October diving with Aquamarine at the BWI. But for you the good news is Redmans is still going he also has good little restaurant opposite his dive shop.

Regards
Kevin
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ute

Kevin is quite right. Redman is alive and kicking. I can recommend his restaurant, but hesitate to recommend his dive services, which apparently are almost non-existent these days. He declined to provide us with any information or answer any questions about his service for our forthcoming dive article and I regret his reputation as a diver is not exactly one to be proud of. If you are an advanced diver with tons of experience and enjoyed diving with him, then go for it - but if less experienced then stick with Aquamarine Dive.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Diana Clarke

redman

Post by Diana Clarke »

We have dived with Redman for the last three years. He is brilliant with experienced divers and has good equipment. I am sure he is one of the most experienced divers on the island. But I agree that he is not suitable for beginners. His resteraunt is excellent. We are going to be there in Jan and hope to dive with him and also with the Blue Waters Inn guys.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I was there last week and arranged a days diving with him - all agreed and I turned up at 10:00....when he told me no one else was booked so he arranged for me to go to Aquamarine. Exactly what I DIDN'T want to do as their schedule is dive 1 leave @ 10:30.....dive 2 leave at 1:30. Doing it that way obviously suits the BWI (breakfast and lunch clients), but completely screws up your day.

The restaurant - WAS CLOSED every time I drove past.

I'll post a full report on my hol soon as I've got stacks to do now.

Hope the weather improves though or the vis will stay bad for some time. The bay looking out to Little Tobago resembled chocolate milkshake on Saturday!

Marco
Matthew Mylecharlane

Post by Matthew Mylecharlane »

Redman's restaurant is definitely no frills. It's a plywood room on stilts, painted in bright colors with propped-open wooden portals instead of windows. But Redman's wife and her co-worker are terrific and very friendly, and the food was ample and quite good. I had my choice of either "fish" or "beef". I chose "fish" and had barracuda that Redman had caught himself that day.
Deborah M
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Re: Red man @ Speyside?

Post by Deborah M »

How do I get your website corrected? I sent you an email at the beginning of March regarding updated information for Redman M-Dive. You have the statement below in quotes on your website along with an old email & phone #. With the statement below on your website, he is losing business & people are missing out on a great experience. If you only put updated info in the forum section, people may not find this corrected information. His dive service is not non-existant and does not have a poor reputation. Redman is known to be one of the best divers on the island. My husband & I have dove with Redman on 2 trips to Tobago, 5 days of diving each trip. It's just the two of us with Redman & the boat captain. It's great! His correct information is: home phone: 868-660-6117, mobile phone: 868-780-4769, email address: [email protected].

Your website states: "We have been unable to contact Redman to establish any information about his business. Our questionnaire was unanswered, but so was a bogus customer enquiry sent with the first of three reminders. However, it has to be said that this dive service is now pretty much non-existent and has a very poor reputation."
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Deborah

I did receive your email of 8th March saying we had the wrong email/telephone showing - but you didn't give me the numbers. I replied to you on that same date, asking for the new email and telephone number. The email was rejected by your mail server. The address was different to this forum account. I assume the first was a work number.

I have corrected our contact information for this dive service. I leave it up to others to report their experiences with Redman. To be honest, other than your email, I haven't heard his name mentioned in connection with diving for some years. I'm delighted that your experiences with him were good.
Steve Wooler
Deborah M
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Deborah M »

Thank you Steve. Would you also be willing to change this comment on the main diving page?
"It came as no surprise that they have ignored our requests for information."
Steve Wooler

Re: Redman at Speyside?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Deborah

Whilst I wish Redman all the best, the simple fact is that he has failed to provide information about his service or even extend the courtesy of acknowledging my emails. Given the general information and perception that I had received about him, this came as no great surprise. His email address may have changed - but why has HE not contacted me to inform me of the changes?
Steve Wooler

Return to “Diving & Snorkelling”