Caribstu and My Tobago competition

Questions and comment about scuba diving and snorkeling
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Caribstu and My Tobago competition

Post by Jo B »

I was fortunate last year to win a prize in the My Tobago competition in time to claim the two days' free diving with Caribstu. Having dived with him a couple of years ago, I realised this was too good a prize to miss! So, thanks to Steve for organising last year's competition, and thanks to Stu for offering his prize.

Ok, now to the diving. As well as the two free days, I did a couple more days with Stu and his boat captain Mr Smith on Stu's new boat. Suffice to say that I wasn't disappointed. The water was a bit green so visibility wasn't great, but I can't blame that on Stu, and we had 4/5 days of good diving. He was very careful to pick appropriate sites depending on the conditions on the day and to avoid the other dive parties in the area. So we always found ourselves the only two divers on our bit of reef, something rarely experienced when diving with other operators, wherever they are based. As always, safety was the topmost priority, dive briefings were comprehensive and always included actions to be taken in the worst case scenario. We saw some good marine life including turtles, nurse shark, stingrays, lots of barracuda, all the usual reef fish, many in fairly large shoals, and one huge tarpon (oops, sounding like the fishing threads...). Sadly no mantas....one day perhaps....

In between dives we had a rest, chat and snacks, usually moored off Little Tobago, lovely locations just to relax and enjoy the scenery. Once we were back, Mr Smith's good lady, Cheryl, provided an excellent lunch at a good price. Stu also looked after all my kit, taking it back each night to wash off - another luxury!

All in all, an excellent few days of diving. Good company, safe diving with an experienced instructor and boat captain on interesting sites around Speyside. Stu may be a bit more expensive than other operators on the island, but you certainly get what you pay for.

Thanks again, Stu, hope to see you again sometime.

Jo x
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Caribstu and My Tobago competition

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Jo,

good to hear you had a lovely time and enjoied diving. When I read your post it makes me feel like I have to try diving instead of snorkeling next time. And I'm sure you will make it again to Tobago and if possible weillmeet there again.
Take care
Gisela xx
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: Caribstu and My Tobago competition

Post by Jo B »

Hello Gisela

Yes, had a lovely time, stayed a few days with Porridge and Jeanell in Castara, a few nights in Charlotteville, then back to Castara for my last night. I saw a few of your old friends in Castara, Jackson in particular said hello. Charlotteville is lovely and friendly too, but I don't think I was there quite long enough to really get 'into' it. I would stay there again, especially if I was diving, as it has a lovely feel to it, very safe. Sadly I didn't make it to Coddie's this year, as the action seemed to be either outside Max's or at the bar opposite the community centre, although the one night I went there I was still a little too jet-lagged to really party. Porridge and Jeanell were very welcoming and really looked after me.

You should try diving next time you go to Tobago. If you like snorkelling, and I think you enjoyed the 'no cylinder' diving you tried, I'm sure you would take to proper scuba.

Do let me know if you're thinking of going again, you never know, we might be able to coincide next time.

Jo x

Return to “Diving & Snorkelling”