Help Me Please

Questions and comment about scuba diving and snorkeling
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Help Me Please

Post by Paul Tallet »

Due to my seeing impediment I wear a TUSA Snorkel mask with special lenses so that I can see (underwater).

Unfortunately, my mask was not fitted with the lenses properly and one of the lenses leaks and it is driving me nuts.

I have been to 2 diving shops but they were nervous because they were not TUSA dealers and, obviously I cannot get a replacement with normal lenses because then I would be swimming blind and bumping into innocent barracudas just minding their own business !!

Is there a TUSA dealer in Tobago? Or an expert who can either fix my problem and either repair the leak or supply a mask that fits the lenses?

Please help me.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Help Me Please

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hiya Paul,

Your best bet is one of the smaller shops along the Pigeon Point road. The Mangrove Shop stocks masks, as does Ocean Experience. I don't know that they're TUSA brand, but it's not impossible. I've certainly seen the brand somewhere! If not, how about something like clear bath sealant applied thinly around the edge?! It sounds extreme, but if you can't use the mask anyway, I'd be inclined to give it a go. Another option might be someone coming over from the UK - there may be something more speficically designed for this kind of problem. Are you anywhere near an Optician here? Perhaps they could suggest something?

Good luck - sorry not to be of any further help!

Lisa.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Thanks Lisa

I did go to Ocean Experience ... is that the one in the hotel? If so they were really good and said I should come back for a chap called Marcus who sounds like a rocket scientist on these incredibly technical things.

As with most rocket scientists he is rarely available so I am struggling on that one.

But ... I think I can cope ... went for a really long snorkel today and put up with it and had a great experience ... just have to deal with seawater tickling my eyeballs I guess ... I agree on the sealant even if it it to seal bathrooms I would try :mrgreen:

See how it goes.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Pete, ahm, sorry Paul,

sounds not to bad to have a snorkeling mask with special lenses. As I don't see much without lenses I always buy a big pack of one-day-lenses for holidays and use it with a normal mask. Even if you loose one its not a desaster. One time I left the lenses home and for that I know there is a shop on the road to the airport selling lenses. Porredge took me there.

I hope you will find a good solution because Tobago without snokeling you will miss a lot.

Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes Gisela ... I am coping with it and it was worth it.

I went to Arnos Vale today and it really put on a show ... 4 or 5 turtles (I lost track), Barracuda and, the star of the show was a huge dark green Moray Eel with a head on it the size of a bear ... at least 8 - 10 feet in length came out of a hole in the rocks ... COR ... What a show!!

Needless to say, I was lucky I had brought spare underpants :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Another day snorkelling at Arnos Vale.... Don't you just hate those average snorkelling days where you don't see anything spectactular.....

Sigh!!

And this would be, all joking aside, why Arnos Vale is my FAVE place for snorkelling on the island!! Glad you had a good one, Paul - and hope the Mask held up!!

No puffer fish though? I love those - they look like they're smiling!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Very large Puffer Fish spotted this morning at Mount Irvine, round the corner from the beach going towards the 'Wall'. It was about 2.5 - 3 feet long.

I have often seen them around the breakwater off the Coco Reef Resort.

But Arnos Vale this afternoon was truly amazing ... best snorkelling experience I have had in 8 years ... never forget it.

Mask is fine ... getting used to it.

Ocean Experience fixed one of my flippers today ... very helpful ... and, my mistake, it's not the one in the Hotel although they were helpful too.

Oh gosh ... a little lizard has just landed on my laptop :shock:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Oh Paul - Get 'with it' - they are called 'Fins' these days - where have you been :roll:

Sounds like you've had a great day - but the large Moray Eel sounds scary !!

I'm loving your updates. Thanks

Jill
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Jill

I looked it up ... it's a Green Moray and they can grow to 10 feet so I am going back there next week to see if it is still there.

Today we had a rest in Castara and it has been bliss ... filming the Sting Rays sweeping majestically along the beach under the surf and (interestingly) a gentleman who brought about 8 reluctant hunting dogs down to the beach to give them their weekly bath.

Shooting pool with the local 'professionals' at the Cascreole ... that was fun too.

River is getting closer to the Naturalist ... about 2 feet away now ... the growing tension is unbearable :mrgreen:

Anyway ...

Weather ... Bloody Marvellous.

Snorkelling ... Bloody Marvellous.

If I won the lottery? ... That would be cool :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Wow Paul, that sounds really amazing. Lucky you! But for what do you need an lotterie win? You sound like you have everything you need 8) Turtles, Stingrays, even Morays and little lizzards, sorry Jill, fins! :)
And you are in Castara! What the h*** do you need more?

Cheers
Gisela
-64 days \:D/
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Yes Gisela ... who needs a lottery out here?

Although, theoretically speaking, I would use the money towards a flamethrower and torch the beach, set up a ring of fire to sit in and protect myself from all these nasty sad flies :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Paul, you don't need a lottery win, you just need a petrol can ... to burn the beach :lol:

By the way, wasn't it you who had the ultimative mossie defense??? Or did I remember that wrong?
How about the rum-application?

Good luck with the sand flys and enjoy beach anyway.

Cheers
Gisela
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Paul,try spraying your bedding with fly spray,do it early in the day.It seems to work.
David :D

Return to “Diving & Snorkelling”