Scuba

Questions and comment about scuba diving and snorkeling
Sharon n'Phil

Scuba

Post by Sharon n'Phil »

Hi to everyone on this Site, and may I start by saying that this is absolutely wonderful, what better advice than people who have been to Tobago, but have nothing to see or gain from helping others. Well done to all those concerned!

That said, like many others who visit the Caribbean we have been to several places, AI, and been reluctant to leave the complex, but having visited Grenada last December, this has somewhat changed our opinion on what we can and cannot do.

We really would like to visit Tobago either later this year, or Jan/ Feb next, and are really taken with Castara, which although isn't our usual resort, looks exactly what we are looking for. I am a vegetarian, but see that this is easily overcome in the area, but the main question I wanted to ask was that Phil loves to scuba dive when we are near warm water, but it looks as if there is no where nearby he can do this. All the resorts we have been in have their own PADI on the Site, but I know that if it "difficult" he probably won't dive, which I think would be a real shame given the information I have read here. If it means that we have to shift location then so be it, but the reviews I have read of the areas haven't seemed very complimentary.

We welcome any help with this please, and thank you in advance.

Sharon and Phil
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Scuba

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Sharon and Phil,

The mytobago-website is the best choice :D
I don't know much about Scuba diving but others will give you the information you need.
It is possible to live in Castara and dive in Charlotteville for example. What I heard is if you want to see Mantas the North is the best place to go. A friend of mine always lives in Castara and goes for diving to the North. Watch the point Out&About and then Dive and you will find all the information you need.
CaribStu is highly recomended.
Somtimes the diving centers offers a pick up or you can go there by car easily.
Whatever you do, enjoy Tobago!
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi,the main dive sites easily accessible ffom Castara are Speyside and Charlotteville,both being a comfortable 40 minute drive.Also talk to some of the tour guides in Castara itself.
Davidin sunny Carnbee :D 8) %*}
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Sharon n Phil,

Castara doesn't have it's own dive centre. You're about mid-way between both ends of the island - and there are plenty at either end. There's a centre at Arnos Vale hotel, which is probably marginally closer to you, but whichever centre you end up at, you'll almost certainly have to drive there as you're out of the complimentary pick-up range!!

It's worth it though - the diving here is great and it'd be a pity to miss out!

Lisa.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

And listen ti Lisa if she do no den nobodee no
David in the rain :( :( :( :(
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Sharon and Phil

Most of the replies are right so far, in that from Castara the most accessible diving is from Speyside. I and my then OH stayed in Castara a couple of times, with a hire car, then drove across to Speyside for diving. The drive is lovely, across through the rainforest to Roxborough, but can be a bit slow in places.

The other alternative, which I did this year as I was travelling alone, was to have one week in Castara then one week in Charlotteville for diving. Charlotteville is very close to Speyside, but personally I think a much nicer place to stay. It was only a 5-10 minute drive over the top of the hill to Speyside each morning for diving.

By the way, I too would recommend Caribstu - he may be a bit more expensive but he provides a really good personal dive service and you definitely get what you pay for. But be warned, he gets booked up very quickly.

Jo x

Return to “Diving & Snorkelling”