R & Sea vs. Extra Divers

Questions and comment about scuba diving and snorkeling
Dennis Morgan
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

R & Sea vs. Extra Divers

Post by Dennis Morgan »

In about 2 weeks we head for Tobago for the very first time. Our mission is to dive every day and see as much as we can on the island when not underwater. We are staying at Sandy Point Beach Club and will be happy doing the south end dive sites most of the time. However, we would like to dive the Speyside area once or twice (weather permitting).

I am trying to determine if our best choice in a dive operator is R & Sea, Extra Divers, or Frontier (based at Sandy Point). When I sent emails to each of these operations they all responded promptly. I received the most definitive response from R & Sea. The Extra Divers response was also good. The response from Frontier was welcoming, but did not address any of my questions.

Any help or advice in choosing one of these dive operations would be greatly appreciated. Both my wife and I are experienced divers, are comfortable with drift diving techniques, and dive on a regular basis. I was hoping to dive the Sisters and possibly get photos of a hammerhead. But Wendy at R & Sea has informed me that warmer water temperatures this time of year may have forced them to make an exit for a colder climate.

I have also communicated with Sandy Point. Everyone I have emailed has returned a very friendly and prompt response. My wife and I cannot wait for our adventure to begin.

Regards,

Dennis Morgan
Sharon Keeler
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Re: R & Sea vs. Extra Divers

Post by Sharon Keeler »

I got certified with Frontier and they are fantastic. Friendly, personal and professional service. Sometimes they get busy, though, so make your plans with them before or as soon as possible when you arrive.
Paul Makin
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Makin »

Frontier, as you say, are based at SPBC so could be a convenient starting point for your trip - the office is located next door to the mini mart. catch up with the staff at the saturday morning briefing in the bar down on the beach. Extra and R+Sea are a few minutes drive or a 15-20 minute walk from the beach club. almost all the operators offer pick up and drop off so no biggie.

all will offer you "local" dive sites and excursions to Speyside/Sisters/etc. Hammerheads are still showing up at sisters but less frequently - we encountered a lone male scalloped h/head about 2-3 weeks ago

regards
paul
Lyn C
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Lyn C »

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to diving in Tobago.

I can thoroughly recommend R & Sea Divers - have personally been diving with them for many years, I must have done over 300 dives with them. Dive Masters and Instructors very professional, have time to talk to you and always go that extra mile with you.

Boat and equipment excellent. Will pick you up and return you to your hotel. Also will arrange trips to Speyside, their own Dive Master going with you to dive.

I am out there from 6 May, so might see you on the boat - if that is the case, look forward to pointing out all the small creatures that you sometimes miss.

regards
Lyn
Dennis Morgan
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Post by Dennis Morgan »

Thanks to Sharon, Paul, and Lyn for their advice. My wife and I are leaving tomorrow, and cannot wait to get to Tobago. We love the adventure of visiting a place for the first time. In addition, everyone I have contacted seems so friendly. We have been to many other islands in the Caribbean, but I am already sensing something very special about Tobago.

I would seem that all 3 dive operations I have been looking at are more than adaquate. It will be difficult to make my final dicision on who to use, but I must make this dicision very soon.

Regards,

Dennis

Return to “Diving & Snorkelling”