Birdwatching around the Le Grand Courlan!

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
DaveJA

Birdwatching around the Le Grand Courlan!

Post by DaveJA »

Hi there!
Hope you're a friendly bunch?
This is my fist time on here, anyway to the matter in hand, My wife and I are taking our fist trip to Tobago in a few days time, It's a spur of the moment holiday of relaxation and just taking it easy staying at the Le Grand Courlan (LGC)
Now as we are both keen birdwatchers ( alas couldn't get in at the Blue Waters Inn) we were wondering is the LGC in a good location for birding?
What birds are likely to be around the hotel gardens and are they any wildlife guides we should think about contacting.
At the moment I'm doing last minuet research on the subject and have stumbled upon this site. Hope you can help. THANKS!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Dave

Welcome aboard! We do indeed like to think that we are a friendly bunch.

Le Grand is an excellent base for bird watching. Yes, you’re not going to be quite living in nature the way you would be at the BWI, but you’re extremely accessible for some wonderful bird watching spots.

The bad news that you will not see very much around the hotel grounds. It is a substantial complex with very little in the way of grounds or gardens. Bananaquits (often know as ‘sugar birds’ locally) are common and will regularly fly into the restaurant while you’re having breakfast and may even land on your table, looking for sweet morsels, but that’s about it. For more information on Le Grand, why not check out our full review, which has lots of photos, available at http://www.myTobago.info/reviews/review16.php

Now the good news. Almost directly opposite LGC is the Grafton Caledonia Bird Sanctuary. You will literally be able to wander over the road and walk the trails at any time – but early morning is best. Tobago is home to over 220 species of bird and you will get to see a hell of a list of them in the Grafton, if you have the patience and ‘eye’ for it. My advice is to check out our Bird Watching article at http://www.myTobago.info/birdwatching.php . My article “Birding with Newton describes a trip around the Grafton Caledonia Bird Sanctuary with the island’s premier bird watching guide, Newton George. There is a list of the species we spotted and pretty much all of the land birds, as opposed to the sea and coastal species, were seen during our hour or so in the Grafton. Do yourself a favour, ring Newton while you’re there and get him to take you on an early morning tour. He is the tops, and such a nice guy. You will treasure the tour for years to come.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Sat May 27, 2006 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Hi
You are not going to be too far away from the Arnos Vale Hotel which is a wonderful spot for bird watching. Go along at 4pm any day when they serve tea and feed the birds, its a lovely experience and you will see lots of species of birds in a wonderful enviroment.
Have a great holiday.
Wanda
DaveJA

Post by DaveJA »

=D> A big thank you Steve and Wanda for your helpful replies, I'll peruse the web sites you have recommended Steve, thanks.
Now I have 1001 more questions I could ask only we'd miss the flight there! so here are just a few:
Wanda, You recommended the Arnos Vale Hotel, can you take tea there even if you are not staying there, it sounds a truly fantastic experience... definitely a Kodak moment!
Steve, The Grafton Caledonian Bird Sanctuary sounds pretty good, I've no doubt we'll be be spending some time there. and as I'm not one for sitting by the swimming pool with a book, on days when my wife partakes in that activity I'll be back at the GCBS with my camera.
We'll most certainly make use of a guide on the odd day and Newton George seems to have a very good reputation, I think we met him at the British Birdwatching Fair at Rutland water one year.
While there we'll most certainly hire a car at some point ,I think our Hotel do a car hire service
And what about the bitting stinging things (Insects)what would any of you suggest, Long toruses, long-sleeve shirts insect repellent or perhaps all three. anyway hope you can help with this little lot, and once again thanks for previous info. if they come out alright I'll post some photos when we get back ( Oh no! Holiday photo syndrome)
DaveJA
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Hi
Yes you can go to Arnos Vale if you are not a guest. Just go upto reception and they will guide you out to the terrace where tea is served. I think it is about £4 each. You can then go onto the beach where the snorkelling is highly recommended.
If you want to hire a car then i can recommend using Yes Tourism (http://www.yes-tourism.com) as they will organise a car for you at the best price.
As for the mossies...we were there only 3 weeks ago and my husband swore they attached him with knives and forks at the ready....we used something called GO, available at the local pharmacy in bon accord, it was a spray that worked wonders. We wore shorts during the day with T shirts but long trousers at night. We also took with us a 'zapper' which is available from Boots at Gatwick and takes away the sting from bites almost immediately. Jungle juice super strength is also good and available from Boots.
Enjoy
Wanda
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Dave

Yes, Wanda is perfectly right in everything she says. The LGC use a company called Singhs for car rental. Very convenient being on site, but they wouldn't be my choice. Not one to avoid exactly, but you neither are they in the upper echelon. My advice would be to go with Wanda's suggestion.

Yes, Newton is regularly over for the Rutland fair, so you could well have met him there. He was certainly there this year I believe.

You might want to check out our article on Insects (Odds & Sods/Health Matters/Insects & Nasties).

Bon Voyage!
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Mon May 29, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
DaveJA

Post by DaveJA »

Once again thank you both for all the Info, We're going to e-mail Newton George to establish his rates and availability during our stay there, as he may have already made plans to be at the Bird Fair this coming August.
And thanks for the tip on the car hire we'll be getting in touch with your recommendation.
It looks like mossie repellent then! although they don't normally find me very tasty (famous last words!!) still it's best to put a fence on the cliff top rather than a Ambulance below.
once again thanks from DaveJA and Wife. :D 8)
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

At the Grafton reserve they feed at about 8am and 4 pm you will see lots of wonderful birds there.
David

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”