Hiking in Rain forest

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Pete Mancini

Hiking in Rain forest

Post by Pete Mancini »

I was looking for a little translation of a few of the terms I've read in this forum in regard to footwear while visiting the rainforest in Tobago.

1. Wellies?

2. Trainers?

I'm not familiar with these, so could someone please translate into US english.

Any rainforest guide recomendations would also be appreciated

many thanks (5 weeks to go!)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Pete

The 'wellie' is an abbreviation for Wellington Boot, popularised by Arthur Wellesley, the 1st Duke of Wellington and particularly fashionable among British artistocracy in the early 19th century.

Originally made of leather, your countrymen were the first to produce them in their current most common form - rubber. I guess you call them 'rubber boots'. I understand that Americans particularly like them in black with yellow soles. Canadians particularly favour black with green or red soles, whilst here in Britain, you are a total townie if you don't wear a pair of dirty green wellies. (Townies have them too, but like their Land Rovers, they are always clean and shiny).

Actually, joking aside, and speaking as a rural country boy, you can't beat a really good pair of Royal Hunter studded wellies. Nothing compares for warmth and sure-footedness while walking the dog across slippery field footpaths.

I don't know what you call Trainers in the States. I just think of them as ugly, uncomfortable plimsolls (tennis shoes) sold at grossly inflated prices and intended to make you think you are 'cool'. Think Nike and you've got the picture. Give me a pair of wellies any day. :P
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

try sneakers for trainers and tall boots for wellies....
here they like them black with red soles (in germany they like them yellow with blue soles....or with "cabbage patch kids" on them for kids :lol:
can we hear anyone french, dutch, spanish or from italy to the topic? :wink:
they rent out wellies aka rubber boots aka tall boots at the entrance of the forest for small money. bring some pairs of big socks and maybe a footspray and you don't have to bother to bring the right footwear (and to clean it after...shiny, shiny).
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Pete,

If you haven't found it already - in the sightseeing guide on this site, there is a list of "official" and recommended rain forest guides plus contact details. I'm sure that one of these will be able to provide the sort of rain forest tour that you want.

Jane

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”