Warning about a random tour guide

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Janet Blackwell

Warning about a random tour guide

Post by Janet Blackwell »

A guy called Tony and also sometimes uses the name Skull, trawls the pool areas of the hotels and tells newbie guests that he is one of the hotel tour guides. He offers a trip to the rain forrest, a trip to English mans bay, lunch and then finishing off the day at one of the waterfalls. This man is a con man and although he will certainly give you a day to remember, it wont be of the happy sort.
We left the waterfalls by 3.30 and was then told that we could not get back in the car unless we gave him a considerable amount of money. I was a single woman with my son and because I was frightened I would be abandoned, I handed over the cash.
The police were involved in this and the hotel, Turtle Bay, took it very seriously but I was told that this man does this sort of thing repeatedly.
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

Hello Janet,
could you please send me an e-mail with the details of this incident. I would like to bring it to the attention of the Trinidad & Tobago Tour Operators Association, the THA Tourism Division and the Trinidad & Tobago Hotel association if you have not already done so.
It is a shame that this happened to you, if you ever come back to Tobago please contact us for a complimentary tour with a licensed tour guide.
Patrick Dankou
Yes Tourism - http://www.Yes-Tourism.com
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Janet

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I am naturally saddened that you had such an awful experience and sincerely hope that it did not spoil your holiday.

Without in any way wishing to appear unsympathetic, may I please repeat and stress the advise I regularly offer in these pages - DO NOT BUY TOURS FROM BEACHSIDE VENDORS. Its the same anywhere in the world. Lulled into total relaxation by the sun (and a few rum punches) its all too easy to be conned into a trip by a someone with a nice friendly smile and a good line of chat. They say the Irish have the gift of the gab, but believe you me, they must have learned it from the Tobagonians, who could charm the pants of a nun.

Seriously, stick with the established tour operators. That does NOT mean going around with a bus-load of tourists (unless you book with the tour rep of the large tour operators such as Virgin/BA/Thompson/Kuoni). ALL the tour operators mentioned on this site are smaller operators using 6 to 8-seater vehicles.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Janet Blackwell

Post by Janet Blackwell »

Email sent Patrick and thanks!
Steve Wooler wrote:Hi Janet

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I am naturally saddened that you had such an awful experience and sincerely hope that it did not spoil your holiday.

Without in any way wishing to appear unsympathetic, may I please repeat and stress the advise I regularly offer in these pages - DO NOT BUY TOURS FROM BEACHSIDE VENDORS. Its the same anywhere in the world. Lulled into total relaxation by the sun (and a few rum punches) its all too easy to be conned into a trip by a someone with a nice friendly smile and a good line of chat. They say the Irish have the gift of the gab, but believe you me, they must have learned it from the Tobagonians, who could charm the pants of a nun.

Seriously, stick with the established tour operators. That does NOT mean going around with a bus-load of tourists (unless you book with the tour rep of the large tour operators such as Virgin/BA/Thompson/Kuoni). ALL the tour operators mentioned on this site are smaller operators using 6 to 8-seater vehicles.
Hmm! well I wish I had found this site before I went.
This guy was not on the beach but within the hotel complex. He had a badge and seemed very genuine. I have been told that he's been caught out before and when this happens he just moves on for a while and then comes back with a changed name.
We did book our other tours with the larger tour operators and had some fantastic trips out.
Did it put me off Tobago? no way!. I loved every other minute of my holiday and will most certainly be going back.

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”