Arnos Vale bird watching and tea

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Arnos Vale bird watching and tea

Post by Gill O »

We are returning to Tobago in February, and due to my husbands latest craze- photography- I hope to get in rather more bird watching on this trip.
I wondered if you have to book for afternoon tea and bird watching at Arnos Vale? Is it possible just to go for a drink and watch the birds, or does "tea" come as part of the package?
I went to see the hummingbirds at adventure park with Newton George last year, and wondered how the two compare?

Gill
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Gill,

We did not book when we went to Arnos Vale and Yes, afternoon tea comes with the package. It is ike an entrance fee that is charged.

I have also been to Adventure Park and to compare the two - Adventure Park is a little more 'rustic' and simple although the birds are just as beautiful.

My husband has said that he preferred Arnos Vale and felt that there were more birds and photo opportunities there.

Jill
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Jill
Many thanks for your reply. I'm so looking forward to our trip. I need to really study my bird books because I find it so hard to tell all the different hummingbirds apart, especially if there are juveniles to see as well.
Gill
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Jill

I'm sure you'll already be aware, but Steve W has provided a birding section in the Out and About part of myTobago (in the header bar at top of this page).

For info on books, website links and even DVD see this part of the birding section - http://www.mytobago.info/birdwatching03.php

I followed several of the website links and ended up here - http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/ ... eport.html
where there is a comprehensive diary report inc. Arnos Vale, with info. on photography.

This report also indicates that birding guru Bill Oddie has written about Arnos Vale in one of his books. Worth checking out I suspect

Cheers
Steve P
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Mike Black

Birding books

Post by Mike Black »

Hi, newbie here so go easy :D

Can anyone advise on the best birdwatching guide books?

Is there a book shop where I could pick one up?

We're arriving on Saturday 27th Jan so have left it too late to order anything from Amazon etc.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Mike

How dare you come on here and.... :evil:

Only joking. We'll be as easy with you as with a newborn chick.

Anyway, welcome aboard. :lol:

The first thing to do is to have a look at our bird-watching articles (see menu: Out & About/Activities/Bird Watching). The Richard Ffrench book 'Birds of Trinidad & Tobago' is undoubtedly the best guide, although serious birders might want to supplement this book with Bill Murphy's 'Birdwatchers Guide to Trinidad & Tobago'. You will get teh Ffrench book at pretty much any book shop - not that there's many in Tobago. As you say, it is a little late to order it by mail now so you will need to wait until you're there. Where are you staying? If at a hotel, there's a very good chance that the hotel's boutique/shop might sell the book. If not, I believe there's a bookshop in the new Lowlands Mall between Crown Point and Scarborough - that should be nice and easy to get to.

Have a brilliant trip and let us know how you get on.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Thanks for that, :lol: :lol:

I was hoping to pick up a copy of Ffrench's book, so I'm glad to here that it's readily available.
Gill O
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Gill O »

Many thanks Steve for your reply. I followed the link to the trip report which was very useful. It did however lead to another question; where is Top Hill Trace? Is it somewhere near the view point not long after you start the road through the rainforest towards Roxborough? ( Some ladies were serving drinks and cakes there last year)

Gill

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”