Birdwatching at St Giles Island (+snorkelling)

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Steve Bond
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Birdwatching at St Giles Island (+snorkelling)

Post by Steve Bond »

Many guidebooks tell that you can't get out around St Giles Island to see the spectacular Frigate Bird colony, due to currents, rough water etc. I'm happy to report that this isn't true. In Charlotteville you need to see Curtis at Workshop Tours, opposite Sharon & Phebs. I've just returned from lovely Charlotteville and went out to the islands 3 times with him - I'm a birdwatcher and professional photographer. He'll take you out to the islands (he'll tell you if its too rough), you can spend plenty of time just off the island watching the Frigate Birds, Booby's & occasional Tropic Bird. He'll call out the birds and, best of all, chuck bits of chicken off the stern and you can witness the birds swooping in and grabbing the food at an arms length away. Great photography. If the water is ok - and it does get choppy, you can snorkel at St Giles. He'll also take you out around London Bridge and the other rocks if you want to. You can also snorkel on the same trip around Pirates Bay & Booby Island. We varied the itinery each trip - no problem, so you can do what you really want to. I can't recommend him, or the trip, enough. Expect to pay about $45 each - obviously more if you're on your own. His phone number is 727-3989. I can provide some sample images if the website would like me to?? Let me know if you have any questions.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Birdwatching at St Giles Island (+snorkelling)

Post by Steve Pitts »

Steve Bond wrote: I can't recommend him, or the trip, enough. Expect to pay about $45 each - obviously more if you're on your own. His phone number is 727-3989. Let me know if you have any questions
Hi Steve

Thanks for the tip
Was that US$45 per person? (can't be $TT surely)

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Steve Bond
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Steve Bond »

Yes, sorry, obviously U.S dollars
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Steve Bond wrote:Yes, sorry, obviously U.S dollars
Never Mind.
Still good value for us Brits @ nearly 2 dollars to the £ :D

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”