Best trip/tour company to get 'glimpse' of rainforest?

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Caragh M

Best trip/tour company to get 'glimpse' of rainforest?

Post by Caragh M »

Hi

Am visiting Tobago in May for two weeks and felt it would be a shame not to see something of the rainforest. Most companies/guides I have come across do like 4-5 hour trips. Is there anyone who could do say 2 hours or a short trip at all?

I am not a great walker as a have a dodgy ankle but can get around pretty well if I can go at my own pace. However 4 hours would probably be a bit too much for me. I can climb ok if needed - ie went up Dunns River Falls in Jamaica last year, but need to be careful and don't want to overdo things and spoil rest of holiday.

Neither of us are birdwatchers, but we like wildlife especially lizzards, snakes etc and know there are wonderfully colourful birds on the island.

What do you recomend? Also would good comfortable trainers be ok or do you really need walking/hiking boots? as husband doesn't have these and mine would be bulky to pack.

Regards

Caragh
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Caragh

If you are hiring a car and care to take a tour across the Main Ridge (Bloody Bay to Roxborough), you will pass the Gilpin Trail, which is the main rainforest excursion trail. Guides will flag you down trying to sell their services. Although all are 'official' guides and therefore supposed to have decent knowledge, it obviously varies and will seldom, if ever, be up to the standards of any of the main guides. However, you can negotiate a shorter walk with them.

Its always difficult to predict the weather but assuming its been relatively dry, trainers will be fine. Most of the guides at the Gilpin Trail have pairs of wellie boots so if its wet and slippery, they'll offer you those.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Hi

Thanks Steve, we are hiring a car and so could do it that way.

Handy to know about the wellies being available but I guess I was thinking maybe wellies would not provide the same grip or support if it is slippy or uneven and I would then prefer trainers or proper boots. Would depend on the weather re how muddy it is but generally is it uneven ground on the trail or does it tend to be flat and do they go up and down hill a lot?

Are you aware of any of the main guides that do shorter walks or something not to strenous/challenging?

Caragh
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Caragh

The going is pretty easy and wellies are fine - its not like hill walking or anything.

No, I doubt whether any of the main guides would do anything less than a half-day tour - or at least they would charge you that as a minimum, or its not worth their while.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh,where are you staying?That would be a help in giving hints on who to use/where to go/what to do.
As for snakes,although there are 23 different species on the island you will have to have avery good guide(and alot of patience)to see them,lizards/reptiles,from chit-chats to iguanas----everywhere!
David :D
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

HI Caragh

Mid-May should be quite quiet, so maybe one of the highly respected tour guides and tour companies could do you a two hour trip in the rain forest if you also wanted to combine a short boat trip. How about King David or Alibaba?

As an alternative - Cuffie River Nature Reserve might be an ideal way to combine a leisurely stroll in the forest and then lunch at the hotel?
See - http://www.mytobago.info/reviews/cuffie ... etreat.php
and Jill has posted a review of the forest walk, but I'm jiggered if I can find it to post a link.

I'll be there the same time as you, so hope the weather is kind to you

Cheers
Steve

PS
David
Counting down again? 8)
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

Hi Caragh

We were in Tobago in Jan/Feb this year and visited the rain forest with Horace Jackson. We walked the Gilpin Trail which took about two and a half hours. Horace arranged for a friend of his to supply us with wellies. You can call him on Tobago (868) 733 7832. He's a nice guy, just let him know what you want to do and I'm sure he will arrange it for you.

Tony
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Hiya

Great advice (as always)

David, we are staying at Turtle Beach for two weeks 3-17 May.

We have a 4x4 booked for two days already and may extend this if there is still plenty we want to see. Also doing some tours - but these are all water based ones so far.

Caragh
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Caragh,if you want a 'tailor made'tour why not pop up to Castara and contact Kelly.He is a young man just starting on his own ,but what he doesn't know about the forest and wildlife couldn't be written here .He will do a tour to your own physical and time limits and still make it exciting,educational and not the usual trip tp Argyle.
David :D
Caragh M

Post by Caragh M »

Ok cool. I think I have enough info to be able to arrange something when we get there.

Thanks everyone.

Please also see my post on 'Englishman's Bay' to help me out further.

Caragh :)

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”